Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I finally found it.

For eight years I have been searching for the one item that will make my Christmas traditions complete. I make the apple cider on Christmas morning, I take a picture of the tree and all the presents underneath before I let the kids come out, and I even make them draw thank you pictures the day after. The one thing that I haven't been able to do though is light a candle every Sunday after Thanksgiving until the Sunday before Christmas.

Do you know how hard it is to find a candle holder for four candles? Nearly impossible! For eight years I have been scanning almost every store I go into. I think I do it out of habit now more than in actual hopes of finding one. Then finally, yesterday, at a little antique store on Main street I finally spotted the candle holder of my dreams.

The absolute best part....it was only $5.

Since I'm assuming most of you are not familiar with this Swedish tradition, let me explain. The Sunday after Thanksgiving you light the first candle. The next Sunday you light the first and second candles. And so on and so on. Get it? Unfortunately I can't remember the whole point of the tradition. (feel free to enlighten me if you do know) All I remember is that the candles end up looking like steps leading up to Christmas. Basically I think it is just another fun way to count down to Christmas.

I also spotted this little jar that I thought would be perfect to hold fresh flowers. Sorry for the bad pictures.


Turns out I was right. I've been smiling all day.



7 comments:

Joni Gardine said...

Too cute! On our way back from Springfield this weekend, I kept seeing billboards saying, "Jenks-Antique capital of America" I think I need to check it out. Want to come with me Friday? :)

Thor'sblog said...

Very creative Sally I have to say I am impressed!

Jenn said...

Next time you go into an antique store and see one, pick it up for me! I need one too.

Kory Jane said...

So how often do you go to Main Street? We need to coordinate a Saturday to get mom to take us and buy us lunch. When is Josh going to be available for kid watch on a Saturday? Very cute by the way. Little miss crafty here.

Real Life Roberts said...

I see you are making your new desk homie. I love the the Swedish tradition-I'll have to ask my Dad on that one.

Anonymous said...

Can you tell me the name of that shop again, please. I need to check it out!!!

Quin's momma said...

That sounds like a really neat tradition. Ok- I know I'm really weird here....but I've been looking for a menorah since 1999. I saw one in Pottery Barn in 1999 and I should've gotten it. For the life of me, I haven't even seen one anywhere. So, keep your eyes peeled- would ya?