Usually I just buy the ridiculously over priced costumes from the store because I'd rather pay the money instead of spend my time being frustrated. But this year since Samm wanted to be a pumpkin fairy I figured I could save some serious cash and make the costume myself. Ironically, the one she wanted from The Children's place was thirty bucks and I think I spent close to that making it myself.
We had a good time together though, and I have to say I am feeling rather proud of myself. James was pretty happy today too, because I finally let him try on his over sized Star Wars suit that he has been begging me to wear for the last two weeks.
This is just a sneak peek at the costume. I don't want to ruin the surprise for my Halloween pictures. There is also a pumpkin wand, (hence the pumpkin fairy) and a tiara. And no I did not make the wings. I was going to, but then I saw these at Wal-Mart and the temptation was just too great.


We also had a fine display of artwork today from James

Wearing nothing but his skivvies.

Painting is pretty serious business around here!
Then he got a much needed haircut.


He even swept up his own hair afterwards. (I'm a big believer of child labor.)
And if your wondering where Macy was during all of this...well, the poor kid had to play by herself most of the day, but she was quite the trooper. She did have on big melt down...


But all she really needed was some food to fill up that big belly of hers and she was happy again



16 comments:
Isn't it satisfying! Even me the none sewer can whip together a simple halloween costume, it feels so good. Although tape and hot glue are used in abundance, staples have even been used. I guess I shouldn't give away all my trade secrets.
Mom has a picture of me like that too. She always called it "french cut." Man I miss the good ole days of wearing nothing but skivvies : )
I;m way impressed how it turned out! good job!
Man Sally I love your Posts!!!! What a wonderful job you did on the costume!! I see that James is into wearing thongs - Nice opening in the back. The girls also are just so darn cute!
So talented! I love the "pumpkin fairy" outfit. I can't believe you made that tutu, it looks amazing.
how cute! it matches the wings perfect too. Maybe I should invest in a sewing machine, I have a dress pattern I really want to make, but never have. Making halloween costumes is a good idea cuz the ones you can buy are expensive and cheaply made! BTW Samm looks so pretty and grown up!
first of all, is the polo shirt from keith?
the costume looks so cute! you are so crafty sally! I never realized.
I have a picture of James in his backwards undies too!
I will never be a real mom if it means I have to sew something. You did a great job and I am jealous that I do not share your talent. I just went costume shopping tonight and for the 3 costumes I wanted it was $130. I didn't buy them yet...hopefully I can find a better deal since they only wear the things for 2 hours.
Sorry guys, I should have mentioned in my post that this was a no sew project. The tulle is actually tied around a ribbon that came with flowers already on it. And Becky, I did use lot's of hot glue for the other parts of the costume!
You did a great job Sally!! The pumpkin fairy is so adorable, I love it! Our Aidan wears his undies backwards too, too funny! He now has Lola doing the same thing to hers. Must be a boy thing.
James has a cute butt cheek hanging out of his underwear, which is on backwards. Good job on the costume. Samm will be the cutest pumpkin fairy ever!
Oh man how to I get in this pickle huh? Of course you are my friend, but given that you have to like me or at least stand to be around me I didn't mean that. I hope that Mom won't rip me a new one. She might though. Same with Stacey, she HAS to like me somewhat. Really anytime you want to bring the kids over to play just let me know. I am usually home all day long.
Great job on the costumes...i can never get myself to pay the over priced amounts for the costumes they wear for only one night so the girls end up being something they can find out of their closet. this year might be a little different. Have you seen the costumes Amber Pepple made for her family...crazy good...you'll have to check them out.
Thanks so much for fitting me into your SuperMom day. LOVE James' backwards skivvies. I cracked up, and I'm at work, and people looked at me. Samm looks beautiful- I can't wait to see pictures for the actual night!
Awesome costume! And I'm totally impressed your son cuts and cleans up his hair!
I'm glad you said hi. It's fun to see pictures of your family - you all look great.
Seriously - can't even talk about the painting for the but cheek shot with the backwards undies! Cuteness!
Post a Comment