Since James is my only boy, I don't have anyone to compare him to directly. However, I do have four brothers so I think I know a thing or two about boys. And as the saying goes "boys will be boys." They instantly turn sticks into swords, their capacity to sit still is limited to about 2 minutes tops, and they all know how to make those really cool noises with their mouths. So, I've met a few boys that sit quietly by their mother's sides and never hit the other kids, but come one, something is wrong with those kids right? At least that's what I like to tell myself.
And James is a typical boy. He is wild, but not wildly out of control. He does hit from time to time, but he's only 3 1/2 and he's still learning. And has been doing much better the last few months I might add. Unfortunately, just like his father, he has been marked as the problem kid in class.
A few weeks ago his preschool teacher called to inform me that he had had a little pooping accident at school. Well, first of all he's only been fully potty trained for the last 4 months. And, they told me when I signed him up that it was OK even if he wasn't fully trained and that the teachers would work with him. Second of all, instead of just calling to tell me that he had an accident, she pretended like she was calling to find out if he had extra clothes.
Yes he has extra clothes. They are in his cubby with his name on them!
OK so it wasn't that big of a deal until the next day when she called to inform me that James hit one of the little girls on her forehead so hard that it started to swell up and they had to put a cold compress on it. At first I just took her word for it, but after school James insisted that he didn't hit her with his hand, but he was swinging his head around. So, I called the teacher and this is how it went.
Me: Did you actually see James hit her with his fist?
Teacher: No, but that is what Chloe said happened. (Chloe is a 3yr old)
Me: Well, James said he accidentally hit her while he was swinging his head around.
Teacher: Well, Chloe said....You get the idea.
Let me just say. If you have a 3 yr old, you know that it is not physically possible for them to hit someone so hard with their hand that it swells up.
So, fast forward to today. Samm has had a runny nose for the last couple of weeks and now James has one to. My initial thought was that it was just a cold, but I'm actually thinking that it might be because of the cat. Josh has looked at both of them and said they were fine.
However, once again I get a phone call from the teacher in the middle of the day.
Teacher: James has mucus and a low grade fever.
Me: Oh, do I need to come get him?
Teacher: No, he can stay, but you need to take him to the doctor and make sure he isn't contagious.
Me: (a little bit confused) OK I'll call and make an appointment for him.
So I make the appointment for tomorrow and when I pick James up from school the assistant teacher hands me a paper that I need to have signed by the doctor. It says. James has yellowish mucus and a low grade fever of 97.6 degrees.
I'm sorry, did you go to college? Do you really have a teaching degree? 97.6 is not a low grade fever. It's not even a fever at all! Oh, and that yellowish mucus. It's called snot. Kids have that sometimes. Good thing someones tax dollars are going to be paying for that doctor visit tomorrow.
But here is the real kicker. During our conversation she actually said to me "I know he is sick because yesterday he stayed in one center all during center time and I usually have to tell him to just pick one. Then today he has been sitting and listening to me all day and usually he is bouncing off the walls."
So, because my son was being good he must be sick!
I don't know if I can handle this for another 7 months. I'm thinking about just pulling him out. After all, it's not like the kids not going to get into college someday because he didn't go to preschool.


10 comments:
HMm, so if that is a low grade fever, then what is considered normal? dead? That is worrisome that they are in charge of children and think that is a low grade fever. And the fact that colored mucus does not mean infection is another thing. I guess anyone can work there huh?
I think you should pull him out! Mainly because I can't stand the thought of someone being mean to James. He is just a boy and really a good one. How can anyone be with him and not love him? My word, the boy is just 4 years old!! I also think you should file a complaint about the teacher!! Man, they make my grandmother blood boil!!!!!!
Amen Grandma Rollins! from the other Grandma! There's nothing "wrong" with James. You are a good mom Sally. You need to do what you feel is best for him.
wow... I don't think I would want my kid to go to that school either! James is just so cute and the whole being "sick" thing is ridiculous! Its kinda wierd that they make a big deal out of every little thing, kids are kids!
Sorry. I have to speak up on this one, too. Follow your instincts! If this is the only teacher he has then I wouldn't trust my kid with her. She's an idiot! Unfortunately, idiot teachers can send damaging messages to kids. If you leave him in school, then you need to be monitoring this teacher very closely. Have you looked into joy school?
Amen...I am the mother to a clone of James...he's just 3 1/2 years older. Some teachers really are prejudice against boys. I think you need to take that note to her supervisor. Do I need to fire up the pellet gun? We could take her out you know?
I grew up with Josh and James sounds like he’s a lot like his dad, even though I loved it because he got all the blame for things he seemed to turn out ok. Pre-schools over rated anyway.:)
King James!? How could anyone think he wasn't a good kid? Sheesh! He's just a boy!
p.s. I can't believe you want a recipe that has no cream cheese and is low in fat...I don't think that describes any of my meals....I cook like Marilyn. But I'll try to find one, just for you!
Oh Sally, I feel your pain. Alex got kicked out of Nursery every week and when he started Sunbeams they told me to take him back to Nursery. He is so sweet too...he just has a lot of energy. I wouldn't be too hesitant to take him out of that school...what can he possibly learn from teachers who don't even know what a fever is?
Oh Sally I'm so sorry! Has the teacher every seen boogers? And really 97.8, I'm so sorry. Take a deep breath, and say a prayer for her future children, they're going to need it.
Post a Comment