Saturday, October 11, 2008

Finish what you start

I read a magazine article once about how to keep your life organized. Their golden advice was Finish what you start. That entails everything from big projects like painting the outside of your house (I think I bit off more than I could chew on that one) down to closing the cupboard door after you open it.

It seems like the most simple idea in the world. One that everyone already knows. The problem is that we know it, we just don't do it. For example. Everyday day I go out and check the mail. Instead of opening, sorting and filing it though, I do a quick scan of the pile and throw it on the counter. Once again failing to finish what I start. And adding to the huge pile that is always lurking on the end of my counter, which I hate!

As a matter of fact, I happen to be the queen of starting projects and never finishing them. Feel free to bestow this title upon yourself also if it applies. I'm always looking through magazines and reading design blogs to get fun ideas. I get really excited about an idea, buy my supplies, maybe start on it a month or two later, and then get frustrated and put it back in the closet.

So, this coming week has been declared as finish what you start week.

I actually started today by finally framing and hanging these pictures that I've had for two months now.


These pictures were drawn by my Grandma. Apparently she was quite the artist and I had no idea. Or at least I forgot. And what I really didn't know is that in the seventies she drew adds for J.C. Penny. Back before they used live models. I have three of those drawings that I need to get framed, but I missed the half off custom framing last week at Hobby Lobby, so I will have to wait until it comes around again. In the meantime, here is a little teaser of the very cool pictures that I got.

I know, it's OK to be jealous. And don't forget...Finish what you start!

10 comments:

The Thompson Family said...

Very impressive! Your grandma was quite the artist.

Kory Jane said...

Hey, how come I never get anything cool like that bestowed upon me. I honestly thing that is the cutest thing that your grandma drew those and to frame them and hang them. The pictures in your kitchen look perfect.

Rachel said...

I found your blog! Cute pictures and good advice.

melissa said...

oh man I have stacks and stacks of pictures to scrapbook.

Jenn said...

I have to admit, I am jelous of your cool picture. I'm pretty sure you and Keith came out with the best ones. I do like my little girl ones though.

Anonymous said...

Wow Sally - they look so good in your kitchen. Also it is so great that your grandma painted them. Did she sign them? What a great heirloom!!!

Dee dee said...

Unfortunately Grandma didn't sign much of her work. The fruit are done in pencil and I'm sure they were samples that she did for her art students. And Sweetie, you inherited your royalty from your mother. I am also a "Queen." At President Hamblin's funeral a friend shared some of Parley's wisdom. It goes along well with your advice. "Perfection is doing everything perfectly. It's doing that which is most important really well and doing rest quickly."

lish and toby said...

Sally! Just found your blog,wanted to say hello and keep in touch too!
Alisha (george)

Real Life Roberts said...

that;s amazing! I love inheriting Grands stuff! You had a talented Grands.

Danielle said...

Yeah I am the queen of starting projects and not finishing them also.
Although I like your mom's advice

Also, JoAnns always has 50% off custom framing if you get their add each month.