While I have enjoyed putting together this auction and watching so many people come together to help Becky I really need to move on to the next project on my enormous list, so please make your donation and email me your confirmation number. That way, I can get you whatever great thing it is that you won and cross your name off the list in my butterfly notebook. I know, how quaint right, I'm using paper and a pencil to organize all this.
Now on to the fun stuff...I have had this idea running around in my head for a while, but have been a little bit unsure if I should really put it into play or not.
You see, I was looking at a blog a while back that was showing off something crafty and giving instructions on how to make it, and even though I enjoyed the how to and the really cool craft, I have to admit I was a teensy bit jealous of this person's amazing talent. However, after a little self pity party about how un-crafty I am (I do try but it's not always that great) I finally remembered what I am always telling the young women at church. "Everyone has their own talents." Just because I can't whip up a before dinner skirt, doesn't mean I don't have anything to offer.
So, along with boring most of you with picture after picture of my kids, I thought I would throw in some stuff I've learned along the way about hair and probably hair removal, and whatever else I'm in the mood to talk about. I think it will be fun, and I hope you do too. And please feel free to give me your own tips. I love to learn new things!
I thought I would start out with the one product I am always telling people about. Smoothing serum! It's actually called a few different things, but basically it's that oily anti-frizz stuff. Don't freak out because I used the word oily. You don't lather it on your scalp. In fact, that's the last place you should put it. Use a pea size amount and start with the ends of your hair and then work your way up. If you have have dry to normal hair you can run your hands along the top once most of it is off your hands, but if you have oily hair just stay away from your scalp.
Now, even though I like this product because it does help smooth out the frizz, more importantly it is a thermal protector. Even if you don't color your hair it is probably more damaged than you think just from your daily styling. So, that means anyone who uses a flat iron, curling iron, or even just a blow dryer should be using some sort of smoothing serum. I use a little bit before I flat iron to protect my hair and a little bit when I'm done to make my hair smooth and shiny.
My two favorites are Matrix's sealing serum

and Pureology's shine max. Pretty much I love anything from pureology

The Matrix usually retails for $12-$15 and the pureology is usually $15-18 depending on where you can find a good sale. If you can't afford that much and you don't have a really cool hair stylist friend who can get you a good deal, you can also get similar products at (I hope I don't get struck down for saying this) Wal-Mart or any store that sells hair products. They aren't quite as good of course, but they will be cheaper and still do a decent job.
Did you think that was the "something very fun?" well, if you did you were wrong. The really cool thing is that because I do get my hair products cheaper and because I love to give presents to people I am going to give someone a bottle of the Matrix sealing serum. (I also love it when people do give aways on their blogs and I sometimes do want to be a little bit like everyone else. Not very often though.) So, just leave me a comment telling me what your favorite styling product is, or why you don't use them at all, and on Thursday probably sometime after my kids are in bed and I can actually sit down at the computer I will randomly select a winner. Fun huh?
21 comments:
I've been going through withdrawals now that the auction is over. It was so fun checking everything out on a regular basis. Guess I'll have to stay tuned for your hair tips. I use whatever the hair dresser tells me to get for the latest style I am trying but I don't have any favorites.
You are so awesome! I love the hair tip ideas, I am in desperate need of hair help. My hair always looks terrible. Although I do love Freeze spray, but I only use it on the kid usually. How bad is it that my kids hair looks better than mine?! I look forward to your future blogs,yay!
So the funny thing about our family is that every time my husband gets his hair cut (he goes to a way fancier place than I do) he comes home with some fancy hair product. I, on the other hand, am lucky to get my hair washed on a regular basis. But I do love that serum stuff...so I really appreciate the recommendation. Maybe I'll ask for some for Christmas. Anyway, my sister made me this super cute feather clip (sounds crazy right) for my birthday and I am dying to wear it. Soon.
I love Bed Head Hard Head hairspray. Mostly because I can get it cheaply at Target. The only thing I don't like about it is that the little sprayer hole thingy tends to get blobby and clogged up now and then. I just check it before I spray now. Works great.
Thanks for the serum tip!
I use the saved shampoo bottles from my work trip hotels and the cheapest gel that makes my hair rock hard. So i spend roughly $1.27 a month on total hair care. Sweet! Melissa on the other hand, uses a month's worth of shampoo and conditioner every shower! Nearly gives me heart failure.
Ohh, I love that you're doing this! I feel like I never know anything about hair products or hair care! I just end up throwing my hair up in a ponytail most days. Even if I don't win I'm going to go buy some of this serum stuff! And I definitely think you're more creative then you give yourself credit for! I love reading your blog!
and sorry I didn't participate in your auction... we were in Oregon the whole time, and my parents internet connection isn't very fast... so I was lucky if blogs would load fast enough so I could read them before I just quite!
So being as you are my hair stylist you know that the only time I look put together is if you style my hair after you cut/color it. With this long mane of hair I get so tired of primping I usually put it in a ponytail. Most of the time I don't even dry it. I should put more time into how I look, but there is just so dang much of it. If I don't watch out I could possibly pass as cousin It. But on occasion I will put some mousse in it. Did I even spell that right?
Yea for giveaways! :) I can't live (seriously) without either shine spray or serum. My hair is crazy wavy and frizzy. Here's my tip. When I'm in a pinch I use baby oil gel--just a tiny bit--and run it through my hair at the end. It works great, and it's so cheap!
I love that you are giving hair styling advice, I know I need it! I feel lost with all the products out there, I usually just get overwhelmed and give up!
Since I'm your sister, I don't expect to be part of the giveaway. I get a "giveaway" everytime I see you and you do my hair!! But, just for fun I'll throw in my two cents. My favorite hair product is Matrix root lifter. Good stuff!
Sally, What is "Super Skinny"? It's made by Paul Mitchell and super expensive. Is the stuff you recommended cheaper and just as good? Just wanting your opinion. I love the "self-help" blogging, plus I've enjoyed seeing the crafts you and Jenn have been doing.
If I am wearing my hair straight then I like Biosilk Silk Therapy and when it is curly KMS curl up. Now you reminded me how badly I need a hair cut and color. Too bad you live so far away. I have black hair and light brown roots right now and I look like a skunk.
Well I don't know about product, I don't really use anything unless I wear my hair curly and then I just add a little bit of mousse. But I am really looking forward to some tips because my hair is very flat and dry. I do love my new Chi though, that thing is awesome! Curls and straightens and I've heard that it wont damage your hair as much as some other irons that get super hot.
I just can't conform enough to say I put "product" in my hair. I usually put "stuff" in there though. I like the Smooth Down Shampoo from Redken. That is the fanciest thing I have ever used. When my hair has been like straw because I don't come see you enough, I have put Paul Mitchell conditioner in there because that was hot in the 80's which is the last time I spent a lot of time on my hair. Thanks for keeping me looking good despite my abilities! I'm going to get some serum. Maybe my really good hairstylist friend will get me some at a discount? Hope you didn't look at my hair today at lunch! See you Thursday! I want to go a little darker!
Sally, I take back my earlier e-mail to you today. I totally want Josh to get me some Smothering Syrum for Christmas.
I think you should give it to Lorie. She would love some free lubricant.
BTW, does commenting twice increase my odds of winning?
well Sally, I am very interested in learning your hair tips. Before I married Beau and nobody cared how much I spent on hair products, I used the Matrix sleek look line and I loved it! I have also used the curl up line from matrix for curly days. and I love the heat protector spray from matrix. My favorite hair product ever has to be my Chi, couldn't live without it. well, i guess i couldn't live without my diffuser either...you should tell Beau how much better my hair will look and feel if I buy the good stuff!!
Lorie, I've never used the super skinny because the supply store closest to me doesn't carry Paul Mitchell, but I would like to try it. It has the same benefits as the two I recommended and costs about the same. The difference is that it is supposed to penetrate deeper into the hair, which pushes out the water and your hair dries faster. I've never tried it though so I can't say if it really does make that much of a difference.
I am a huge fan of Pureology Texture Twist. I think it can work a few miracles. Also- I love Aveda products. Aveda Shampure shampoo & conditioner is great!
So, I would be the one that gets the cheaper alternative at Walmart. They used to carry a brand called Professional and they made a great pomade that was great for a dry shine and it smoothed too. I can't find it anymore though :( So the winner just really NEEDS to be me!
What a great idea, Sally! We use defi molding creme and AG Stucco - but I've been wanting to do the serum . . . . a girlfriend told me about it awhile ago. My Mom's a hairdresser too - did you know that? And FYI - we have a family blog www.zeezoo.wordpress.com
Post a Comment