Monday, December 22, 2008

Running on overdrive

10 hair cuts, 2 eyebrow waxes, 1 foil, 2 hyper kids, 1 whiny baby, 1 sick husband, and 1 trip to the grocery store later... I'm surprisingly not tired. (don't feel too sorry for me, I'll be spending half of my day tomorrow at a spa.) Actually I think I passed tired after haircut number 7 and now I'm at that adrenalin rush jittery stage where when your 16 you start laughing uncontrollably at anything and everything. Since I am no where near 16 anymore my mind is actually just racing really fast with all kinds of thoughts about several different things. I am going to try and focus all my energy on one topic right now though.

I was going to try and post some pictures of my kids and do some Mommy blogging, but since I'm in hair mode that is what you get tonight.

I was talking to my sister-in-law yesterday about hair color and she was telling me that she saw a really pretty deep red color on someone that she loved but wasn't sure if it would look good on her. So, here are some things to consider when choosing a hair color.

If you want your hair to look the most natural and flattering, you should stay within two shades lighter or darker of your natural color. Now, I've heard some people say that you can consider your natural color to be what you were as a kid, but others have said you should not stray too far from what you are right now. My personal opinion is that if you were blond as a kid, your skin tone should still be able to pull it off.
Now, even if you are a brunette and you had brown hair as a kid, that doesn't mean you can't add some blond highlights. In fact, the right kind of highlights are pretty much flattering on everyone, since they add depth. Just don't ask for platinum highlights if you have black hair unless you are going for the salt and pepper look.

The next important thing to consider is your skin tone. What looks good on someone with a warm skin tone will not look great on someone with a cool skin tone.

Here is a little break down for you. If you have a cool skin tone you should avoid gold, yellow, and red. The best shades for your are going to be ash blonds and browns. Cool tones can also get away with the funky colors like teal although I wouldn't really recommend that unless you are either in high school or in beauty school. Burgundy also falls into the unnatural funky color category. (Is burgandy what you were thinking Kory?)

Warm skin tones should avoid blue, violet, and ash based tones. Warm golden browns, reds, and golden blonds will look best on you.

So, how do you know if you are cool or warm. Well, since I'm a Little hyped up right now, I did some looking on line and I found a little guide to help you figure it out.

Cool category: (If you are two or more of these than you are cool)

If your Eyes are:
Deep brown or black-brown
Gray blue or dark blue
Hazel with white, gray or blue flecks

Skin Tone:
Very dark brown
True olive (most Asians and Latinos)
Medium with no color in cheeks
Medium with faint pink cheeks
Medium with golden undertones
Pale with no color in cheeks
Pale with pink undertones
Brown or bronze when I tan


Hair:
Blue black
Deepest coffee brown
Medium ash brown
Medium golden brown
Dishwater blond
Salt and pepper

Warm Category: (If you are two or more of these than you are warm)

If your Eyes are:
Golden brown
Green, green blue or turquoise
Hazel with gold or brown flecks

Skin Tone:
Brown with pink undertone
Brown with golden undertone
Pale with peach or gold undertones
Freckled
Ruddy

Hair:
Deep brown with gold or red highlights
Red
Strawberry blond
Gray with a yellow cast
Natural golden blond

Now, just because you are warm that doesn't mean that every golden color is going to look great on you. Your hair color should compliment your skin, not match it. Meaning, if you have a ruddy complexion don't put red streaks in your hair.

And don't forget personal style and taste. If you love it, own it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Weird, I always thought I was cool - because I'm pale and freckled . . . . according to the list, I'm warm. But I can't picture me doing blond - I feel like it would wash me out (peaches and creme kid). I've been tired of my hair lately . . . . and look forward to when I start going gray to experimenting with color (I'm a color virgin). I can't imagine trying blond - weirdness, but would probably like darkening up my brunette. Hmmm. Fun post, thanks! Merry Christmas!

Kory Jane said...

As a matter of fact the color is more burgandy than a deep red. According to the tones I could probably pull it off. But I will definatly have ou with me picking the color when the time comes. Now if I can just rush these last two months of pregnancy that would be great. I hope two more haircuts tomorrow isn't going to dampen your day.

Lisa said...

Hello Sally! It is me, Lisa, the friend you probably want to kill right now. I heard Caleb was a beast to James and you during his haircut on Monday. I just want you to know he was punished and he has something for you and James. We will try to drop it by Wed. I will never have Amanda bring him again. I'm so embarrassed. Uggg!

The Thompson Family said...

Hey Sally, I just wanted to thank you for the Christmas present. I love it and was shocked I got a whole outfit. I am excited to wear it. I will have to take a picture. You have such good taste. Merry Christmas and we love you guys!