Friday, December 26, 2008

Fun and memories

Oh my goodness where to start!


Christmas of course was wonderful. What is not to love about eating, spending time with family, eating some more, and watching your kids just about explode with excitement. I won't bore you with all the long details of Christmas morning, but I did get some incredibly thoughtful gifts from my incredibly great husband including a six pack of pliers that I needed for making jewelry and a small hand held drill so I can hang up pictures and such without him. I didn't even ask for them, he just took the time to think about me and what I could really use. I also bought myself a present but it hasn't come yet so I can't show any pictures.

We also got a CD from my Dad that was so incredibly sweet. I actually got a little bit choked up. At first Josh and I weren't sure what it was for, but then I read his card and oh the memories of a fantastic childhood came flooding back. Now my children will also be able to gallop around the house to the "Horsey song" aka the William Tell overture. Love it!

And what else do I love you might ask? Or not. Obviously I'm going to tell you anyway. Finding a new antique store! OK, so I didn't actually find it so much as my Mother-in-law took me and my Sister-in-law there, but still it was new and I got some really great stuff.

For a total of five dollars and seventy cents I picked up this very cool milk glass goblet and awesome beads. Seriously, why do people get rid of some of this stuff. The necklace was .80 cents and I already have about a bazillion ideas about what I am going to turn it into.



I also found these gorgeous silver earrings. (The button covers above the earrings I just got from my Mother-in-law Betty and I am dreaming of some really cool necklaces.)


They were all gorgeous to begin with, but after a little love and care they were amazing.


As soon as I saw the earring I immediately starting scheming about how I could take them apart and use them on a necklace, but then I put them on and "Hello, what was I thinking?"

These babies are going straight to my jewelry box. After I finally decide to take them off that is.
Did I mention they are pure silver and I got them for $6.40!

Oh ya, I also found a vintage navy blue bead necklace the other day at my most favorite shop ever. It's called Southern living and the lady that owns it is an absolute angel. I picked up three necklaces that should have been $7 and with a lovely smile she said "that will be $1 for all three. Merry Christmas!" If you live in the area you have to go see her. She's on Main street. Anyway, yesterday I got out some stretchy cord and made a a pair of bracelets. I know they look black, but I promise they really are navy blue.
Now, for the find of the day. I think Betty and Kory thought I was a little bit crazy. Josh even kind of looked at me a little funny too for being so ecstatic about this.

My Mom always made lemon meringue pie on thanksgiving because it is my grandpa's favorite. Naturally having grown up eating it I also love it. Not just because I love the taste, but because it reminds me of home and my family. Thanksgiving for me really is defined by lemon meringue pie. So can you image my excitement over finding this darling pie plate and cover?



I probably would have paid a lot more for it, but as it stands. I only paid $3.99 which caused even more excitement. My husband actually hates lemon meringue pie so originally I bought it as a gift for either my Mom or my sister, but once again I made the mistake of putting it in my cupboard just to get it out of the way, and I'm afraid it's going to have to stay. Josh may not want any pie, but the kids and I can sure enjoy it.

I also found a set of The Indian in the cupboard books. One of my all time favorite books as a kid, and they are waiting patiently on my shelf for Samm to love. And, I picked up The jungle book (a family favorite) on VHS for $2 because we still own a VCR and my kids are snuggled up in blankets watching it right now. How fun is that?!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You amaze me Sally and you know what? The more I look at that lemon merinque plate, the cuter it gets. You have the great talent of foresight!!! I am anxious to go to those other stores!! Glad you like the jewerly that I have had on my closet shelf for a year and didn't know what to do with it. I must of been saving it for you. A pair of dangly earrings sound great for next Christmas!

Kory Jane said...

I honestly didn't think it was a bunch of junk. I was just acting the part of the big frumpy pregnant woman. Where did you get the earrings? I don't remember you picking them up. That place was not as scary as it looked huh? Cute ideas.

melissa said...

cute jewelry! I love the ear rings! What a fun hobby! I need a new hobby to entertain myself with

Joni Gardine said...

Hey Sally!

I leave for a week and you find a new antique store? What? ;) So when are we going? I love everything you picked up. I am positively beaming with jealousy. :)

Joni