Sunday, September 7, 2008

Today

I love the first Sunday of every month! I may be one of very few people that really do. I love that for one day out of the month I can go all day without eating and not get the headache that would usually be lurking around the corner somewhere after a missed morning snack because It is the one day that I can stop thinking mostly about myself, (because I really am a selfish person) and focus all my love and concern for other people.

After a ward wide email from our bishop, I woke up this morning prepared to fast and pray for a very special family that is battling a second round of chemotherapy and anyone else who might be fighting their own hidden battles.

It wasn't until I got to church that I realized how many of those other people I really was fasting and praying for.

A family deeply in mourning for the tragic loss of their son-in-law just this morning, A dear friend struggling with difficult health issues, another friend who seems to just be going through one of those rough patches, and many others who are struggling silently.

So, I took to heart the article in the ensign that Josh showed me this morning called toothpaste on the mirror If you haven't read it yet, you should. It's very short and a great reminder of what's really important.

And I decided to try to do everything I could today to be a better person.

So, today I played a silly game with two of my kids because they are so hungry for any attention I give them.

Today, instead of just smiling at people in the hall as I walked by, I said "Hello" and called them by name.

Today, I worried more about what I could learn in church than what I would wear to church.

Today I reached out to give a loving touch to a man I hardly know because he is suffering

Today I put aside some major insecurities about being judged and criticized and signed up for the ward talent show.

Today I poured out my heart to the Lord and wept with gratitude for all the blessing I have been given, but feel so unworthy of.

Today I was truly happy!

8 comments:

annie moffat karcher said...

it is truly amazing when you can really get into the spirit of the lord's and let go of yourself.
I have found that when I let go of worldly things in my life I am really blessed and that life is not just centered around me and my family it involves a lot more people and what they're struggles are.
it doesn't take much to feel and act more Christlike when you really try. and what an amazing feeling it is!!

Becky said...

Sally, awesome post! Thank you so much for the fasting and prayer on our behlaf. I too was deeply moved at the amount of struggles others are battling in our ward. I helps me realize I may not be the only one suffering in the world and think outside myself. Your great!

melissa said...

Sally, nice post! I read that article and I thought about how many little things get in the way of just enjoying the moments that we are lucky enough to enjoy.

Quin's momma said...

Sally, your post actually brought a few little misties to my eyes. Thank you for sharing.

Anna-Kare said...

I was touched by your post and impressed with the woman you are becoming. Way to be!

Anonymous said...

I am SO GLAD that you married my son and are the mother of my grandkids!!!

Lisa said...

Amen Sally. It was a very emotional fast and testimony meeting. I was touched by the courage that the people had to get up and speak so openly and honestly. I can't attend the talent show but I know you'll do great! Thanks for the post.

The Thompson Family said...

Thanks Sally, I really needed to hear that. I will definitely read that article. Good luck at the talent show.