If I wasn't so impatient I would have smocked some fabric myself, but I didn't want another "project" to work on, I just wanted results so I went and bought some fabric that came already smocked. It does cost a little bit more, but it was worth it. And I caught it on sale.
Macy's dress was a piece of cake. Not only did the fabric come already smocked, but it was also already hemmed. All I had to do was sew up two side seams and attach some ribbon for the straps. The whole think took less than one hour.
I also bought some yellow fabric to make another dress for Macy, but the smocking was too tall and the lady at the fabric store said "I would not recommend cutting it. You'll have to fold it over to fit her.(I didn't even ask her opinion, she just offered it.) " Well, guess what? It is totally possible to cut smocked fabric. I just zig zag stitched across the whole thing, than I did it again just to make sure it wasn't going to unravel, and then cut across the top. And, I was able to use the ruffle part that I cut off as the straps.


No comments:
Post a Comment