Monday, March 29, 2010

What kind of kids am I raising?



I would blame this whole thing on Grandma Betty, because it was at her house that James first saw the Goonies, but after she told me how much he liked it, I remembered that we actually owned the movie and got it out for the kids to watch.

I think I've only seen the whole thing once in my entire life but it was on sale for $4 once so I bought it. It sat in our movie basket still in plastic for a very long time until just a couple weeks ago, after said Grandma mentioned it to me. Then the kids watched it every single day, usually more than once if they could.

Then, during one of the days that I was incredibly sick and husband-less I had to go to the store or the kids would starve, and on the way out we had a little incident. All of the kids were loaded up on one of those semi truck shopping carts. Samm was leading the way standing on the front and as we rolled out into the street she yelled "I'm captain chunk. Let's get the he** out of here!"

Oh ya. We had a talk. Not a very long one though because I could hardly talk. And apparently it wasn't good enough because this Saturday as she was playing in a big foam pit thing at a birthday party surrounded by 15 little kids and their parents, it came flying out of her mouth again.

She felt really bad the whole way home and was really upset when I told her that Dad and I were going to have a talk about the goonies. She promised though that she wouldn't say that word anymore.

Until she saw Grandma and said "guess what Grandma, If I say hell one more time..."

3 comments:

Kory Jane said...

I guess as adults we are used to hearing it and tuning it out. I forget people are saying words sometimes until the kids say them. Hang in there, we have been through He!@ and SH#$ and of course my favorite BAS#$@%. Just stick to it and they will learn not to say it.

I love the Goonies as well, I watched it and forgot how much crap is in there.

Seth and Julie said...

Ha,Ha! I know it's "bad" but it is also amusing. We watched ET with our kids about 2 years ago, thinking there was nothing bad in it, until the kid called his brother pe**s breath. And of course that is the one line Alyssa remembered and adopted in to her vocabulary. Fantastic!

The one that bugs me is the Oh My G. I have drilled in to Alyssa's head that that one is NOT okay. It is tough because they let them say it at school but I think she has it figured out and she knows I am listening to make sure Oh My's end in goSH.

melissa said...

So you made it all the way to 7(I think she's 7?) without swearing? Thats impressive! Av came home saying the G word and Paisley picked up the S word. I guess its bound to happen.