(My post has nothing to do with this picture I just think my sisters are so beautiful that I had to share it)Last night as Josh and I were discussing our days he asked "so what crafty thing did you make today?"
"Nothing."
"Really?"
"Well, I had to clean the bathrooms and fold laundry."
"Oh, sorry your day was so boring."
"It wasn't boring, I just had other things besides crafting that needed to be done."
And really, somehow scrubbing toilets was a welcome change. Just a mind numbing activity that didn't require any over thinking or worrying about what other people were going to think. Not that I should care anyway what other people think of my creative work but hey I am human and it does still happen.
So I've been thinking all day today about balance and how it really all goes back to all things in moderation. Anything in excess, even crafting and beautifying ones home, is not healthy for the body or mind.
But how do I keep that balance in my life? I tend to get hooked on things and then do them or eat them repetitively until I absolutely cannot stand it any more. Then, it could be months before I even have the desire to revisit that area of interest.
Basically, I'm not one of those people that can read a chapter or two of a good book every night before bed. Instead, I spend every waking minute devouring it until I can't hold my eyes open any more and then I pick up where I left off first thing in the morning. Completely ignoring my home and my appearance in the process.
It can be so frustrating some times. Even though my brain tells me it's time to stop and do other things, I can't seem to make my body agree.
And maybe more important than finding balance in my life is that I want my kids to have balance in their lives. I want them to experience things, to learn different skills, and to know first hand the joy that comes from serving others.
Am I asking to much of myself? Is this an unattainable reality?
I hope not.


4 comments:
I'm just as guilty as you...especially when it comes to a good book! But, the first thing I've done to help balance things out is make a "chore list" for myself. I divided cleaning my house into 5 days, so each day there is something and it gets done every week, but I'm not trying to clean the whole house, do laundry, and cook all in one day. It's been nice.
This sounds like something Thor wrote on his new blog. How we all get obsessed with things at some point or another. Human nature I suppose. I guess balance is hard to do anyway you look at it.
I am the same exact way Sally. I think a lot of people are. But you are right (the Prophets agree with you) that we need balance. It is important. It is not unattainable it's just something we need to work on. It's part of what teaches us discipline and ultimately leads us to be more like Christ. You're on the right track - thanks for this post :)
I share some of these tendencies which is why I don't read as much as I used to, because then I stay up all night.
I do the obsess over one food until it makes me gag thing too. I could definitely use some help with the idea of balance and moderation.
But I do love your talent and creativity...it is a gift, don't stifle it!
Post a Comment