Thursday, April 16, 2009

ADD and mental strength

Does anyone else do this too?

You start out cleaning a room, say your four year old's bedroom that is so trashed it can only be rescued by a mom. Then when you go to throw away some garbage you realize the next day is trash day so you take the can out to the curb and collect all the bags that are sitting in the garage. Then you realize that the garage floor is covered in dirt, leaves, and those annoying helicopter seeds from the tree in the front yard so you start sweeping the floor. Then you remember that the front porch is also covered in those pesky little helicopter things so you sweep the front porch. While sweeping though you realize that the flower beds along the front walk are embarrassingly over run with weeds, so you abandon you sweeping and end up spending 3 hours weeding.

And the bedroom never got clean!

Anyone?

So, I will say this for myself. Even though I can't hardly stay focused on one task to save my life, I did show an incredible amount of self restraint when after only an hour of weeding the mail lady dropped by to deliver this book that I have been waiting for for over a month now, and instead of tearing open the box I left it sitting on the table and finished what I was doing.

I'm not going to lie. It was tough. But I knew that if I stopped to even just flip through the book I wouldn't be able to put it down and our front yard would still be a jungle.

Now, I'm very excited to start some fun sewing projects.

PS. This book if for beginners and has 23 patterns in it!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You just described my everyday course. I always get side tracked and never finish what I originally started. I just figured it was part of aging. Oh well, it keeps us busy.

Rachel said...

OMGosh! That is sooo me! I do that every day of my life, and I sometimes wonder how I ever get things done! Although my daily To-Do lists help a little, otherwise there would not be much hope for me! Bravo for not abandoning the weeding for a much more interesting and fun book of projects!

Kory Jane said...

Ok, so when do I get to pick out a pattern and have you sew me a cute dress to wear to church? Not that you don't have a lot on your plate already, but just a thought!! ;)

Keith said...

Must be a Morgan thing. Happens to me all the time, especially when I'm cleaning.

Real Life Roberts said...

I know what your feeling...it's the story of my life but add in like 10 more "to dos" and then none of them get done and I have nothing to account for from the day. Ph well tomorrow is another day...;)