He was constantly telling me "You don't have to be like everyone else!"
Of course back then all I wanted was to be just like everyone else. I wanted to be smart and pretty like Anne, stylish and pretty like Danielle, athletic and pretty like Kate, creative and pretty like Jennifer, and just about anything I thought everyone else was that I was not.
It took meeting the right guy for me to really learn and believe that I am all those things. Well, athletic is still up in the air.
Anyway, only then did I start to understand the importance of what my Dad had been telling me all those years. I thought it was just his way of telling me not to drink and do all the stupid things that teenagers do. I didn't realize he was also telling me to find out who Sally is.
So, just who am I. Well, I'm a wife, a mother, a daughter, a sister, and a child of my father in heaven. Those things will never change. However, with each new stage of my life comes new experiences and a re-evaluation of me. My tastes and hobbies are constantly changing. I don't want to be the mom still wearing her clothes from the early 90's.
Now I find that where I used to crave "normalcy" I crave being different. I don't want to be the same as the next girl. In fact it kind of bugs me.
Don't get me wrong, I still need to be loved and accepted, I think we all do. I just don't want you to love me while wearing the same shirt.
OK, so the point of this whole long post is to blame my dad for my new found sewing obsession. I guess I have to blame Joni a little bit too. But, oh my, do I love to create things that are completely my own. It's so addicting. I can't get enough.
Here is my latest creation. A summer dress for Macy. Too bad she would not turn around for me. She pretty much did everything she could to make taking a picture of her impossible.
And just so you know. I was also told repeatedly...
1) Never spend more than you make.
2) A moment on your lips, forever on your hips.
Sound advice for anyone! Although I pretty much ignore #2.


7 comments:
that dress is too cute! Keep creating!
You can ignore #2 because it never even sticks on your hips except when you are pregnant...hmmm that just doesn't seem fair. I love all the back pictures. Maybe I should go Goth to stand out a bit more huh? ;)
haha. I forgot Dad would always so "a moment on the lips"....I never listened to that one either. He also used to say "you don't have to...you get to". That's another good one.
That really was a super cute dress on Macy on Sunday! :) Keep creating, you are great at it! :)
I love your commentary, so true. It takes nearly 20 years (or more sometimes) to realize that different really is good! Macy's dress is darling. I'm always so impressed at how you're always developing your talents, you inspire me:)
I don't mind wearing my clothes from the early 90's but my sisters make fun of me for it.
Cute dress!
I have to tell you Sally that I truely love the person that you are.
Post a Comment