Thursday, February 23, 2012

I've said it before...





Two things always happen when I go out anywhere with Laila. 1) people (women) always stop and tell me how cute she is and 2) she gets called a boy at least once. I'm pretty used to it, so I don't bother to correct them.

The other day Laila and I were at Big Lot's, of all places, when a woman and her little girl walked past us. The woman stopped and proceeded to make a big fuss about what a cute little boy I had. I just smiled and said "Thank You" but as they walked on I heard the little girl say something about the baby being a girl. Then, the woman said in a very "your only 4, what do you know" type of voice, "No honey, that's a boy." To which the girl responded "Then why is he wearing a pink shirt?"


Big Lot's is a very strange place!  And I happen to think he is the cutest little boy ever! Even in a pink shirt.

7 comments:

Jenn said...

All of your weird people experiences happen at big lots! It's the craziest thing. She SO does not look like a boy. People just don't pay attention at all.

melissa said...

I had someone comment that Avenley was a boy... She even had a headband with a purple flower on.People really just aren't that observant lol

Jenn said...

P.S. I can't figure out who she looks like. She doesn't remind me of any of the other kids. Does she look like someone to you?

Seth and Julie said...

I think people just have a default setting where all babies are boys. My girls got called "he" all the time but my boy never got called a girl, well until he was 3 and had long curly hair, but never as a baby.

I second Jenn's question because I also do not see a resemblance to any of your other kids. I think she looks the most like you but would love to hear who you guys think she looks like? She is super cute no matter who she looks like and whether a boy or a girl and seriously, this Big Lots thing is getting a bit eerie.

The Thompson Family said...

It happens to all of us. You can have them decked out in pink and they still think they are boys. They are right that she is a cutie.

Natalie said...

I love the Big Lots stories. You should go there anytime you're feeling like you're having blogger's-block!

Laila's got such a sweet face. It's no wonder people stop to tell you so.

Barbra said...

I'm just amazed how people open their mouths before thinking. If I say anything to a Mom with a baby in public, I make sure I'm positive I know what sex it is from the clothing, accessories etc, if I don't know, I make a general "Your baby is adorable." comment.

Having boy/girl twins, I've heard everything, from "which one is your favorite?" to "he looks dead." (Sam was sleeping in his carrier. That came out of the mouth of a 7 yr old girl.) No apology from her Mom, nothing...as other people in the store that heard her, turned to look at my dead child in walmart. ANYWAY, I just can't believe people call Laila a boy when she's decked out in pink! Oh well, it gives you entertaining things to blog about. Yahoo!