Saturday, March 7, 2009

Do your kids do chores?

My Mom has always said that one of her biggest mistakes was waiting to make us kids do chores. She always figured we were too young to do it. Don't get me wrong. I remember doing plenty of chores growing up, but at what age I started I don't remember.

So, Josh and I have always expected the kids to clean up after themselves. I don't always remember to make them clean their rooms everyday, but I don't do it for them. Somehow though I have let the extra chores slip by. I guess I just figured they weren't old enough or wouldn't be able to do it right.

Yikes! Do you see the pattern? Why haven't I realized before now that it doesn't matter if they can do it exactly like I would. The important thing would be that they are learning.

So, today was the day to start. I was a little worried about having to fight with the kids about doing the extra work, but I should have known better. Samm was so excited you would have thought I told her today was Christmas. And surprisingly enough James was pretty willing to do his extra job too. Of course all he had to do was wipe off the table.

Saturday chores from now on it is!

5 comments:

Pepple said...

Good luck with implementing chores. All of our kids do age appropriate chores and as they get older it becomes a huge help. We do "pepple points" and they get extra points for doing chores really well or in a extra good mood. It really helps keep them motivated.

Kate said...

I can't wait until my kids can help me do stuff around the house (even if they don't do it right - which I can see totally being the reason I might delay) so good for you. Chores are GOOD!

And I liked your last post! I totally have moments like that!

Anna-Kare said...

I wrote all the chores of the household on separate 3x5 cards. On any given chore day I selected a few that I needed done and put out. The kids were allowed to pick which cards/jobs. This worked particularly well when they were older and didn't want to be bossed around. They already knew that they had work to do but it was easier to swallow if I wasn't verbally handing out jobs. You are smart to start early. I made the same mistake as your mom and then had to play catch up.

Seth and Julie said...

My kids don't even clean their own rooms. I have always thought it was easier to do it myself and then it gets done right too but...I know they should be given some responsibility around the house. I think they would appreciate me and their home more if they were taking part in caring for it. I just hate to make them little slaves because that is what I was growing up and they're just kids.

Jeanette said...

I am totally guilty of this too Sally! I am trying really hard to include the girls while I do the chores.. laundry, dishes, table clearing, bathrooms! I try to give them jobs that they can do in a fun way, like sweeping or vacuuming the kitchen floor then skating around on clorox wipes to mop it! :) This is their favorite! :) I also try to let them do the jobs I give them without coming behind them and redoing it! GOOD LUCK! I really like the cards idea! :) Thanks!