Friday, January 23, 2009

My apologies

I was really busy with mostly a whole lot of nothing all day and didn't have time to sit down at the computer. So, I'm sorry if you have been checking my blog every five minutes in anticipation of finally discovering the secret to the cool button.

Well, Google got it right. And you too Jenn.

The heat of the hair dryer is what allows you to temporarily reshape your hair, however the style is not completely set until it is cold again. And, even though you can get some curl and volume just by simply using a round brush and heat, a lot of that will fall as soon as the hair is let down. So, next time you blast a section of hair with heat, just take a few seconds to follow it with cool air. It does extend the amount of time you have to spend on your hair, which I know is not what anyone is looking for, but it will be worth it.

A few people also mentioned that it helps reduce frizz and protect the hair from damage. Well, that is also true. When the hair is heated up in anyway, the outer layer of each strand (called the cuticle) opens up. Anything cold like air or water will close it up again, creating a smoother strand.

As far as the damaging effect of a hair dryer go. It is heat so it will cause a little damage, but really, as long as you don't over dry your hair; ie. continuing to go over and over a section that is already 100% void of moisture, it's really not as bad as people think. So, don't spend five hours drying your hair on the cool setting, just get your hair about 80% dry all over and then do your styling.

And don't forget your smoothing serum!

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I love knowing the answer!
Speaking of serum, there isn't any place around here to get the good stuff, so I'll have to have you pick some up for me sometime.

Christy said...

Knowing this has now changed my life. I've received good feedback today on my hair and the only thing I changed was to cool each section when I was finished with the heat.

Here's a question for you: what the heck do I do with Moroccan Oil? I won some in a giveaway.

Also, in case you're wondering who I am--I got your blog address from the silent auctions. I know Shandolynne from college, Brokenickys from Nebraska, and I think you are probably in the same ward as my mom (Darla Greer & Greg).