
So all that was semi-normal. About 30 minutes later I pulled out my new hair cutting chair in preparation for a morning appointment. I was really excited to use my new chair because it goes up and down and swivels around, so now I don't have to break my back. Then I went into the bedroom to get dressed when I heard a thud and screaming.
Samm came running down the hall to get me and said "I'm so sorry Mom. I was spinning James around on the chair and he went flying off and hit the ground." I could tell he was really hurt right away, but wasn't sure to what extent. He wasn't bleeding at all and he was moving his hands, but he just kept saying "somebody help me. It hurts."
The girl who's hair I cut happens to be one of Josh's classmates so she looked at it and said she thought it looked fine and it was probably just really bruised. After the haircut though James was still in a lot of pain and crying so she looked at it again and this time he had swelling up by his shoulder.
So, I loaded up all three kids and went to the urgent care clinic only to be told that they wouldn't accept my insurance. It took everything I had not to start bawling in front of a room full of people. I actually felt sorry for the lady though because she genuinely felt horrible for turning away a four year old crumpled up in pain. She did say they would see him, but I would have to pay for it all. I don't know how much x-rays cost, but I sure didn't want to find out.
So, we loaded up again and went to "Daddy's hospital." It's pretty much the farthest hospital from us, but I figured if we had to go to the hospital than we might as well go see Dad.
After a short wait to be seen, a doughnut, and an x-ray, we learned that James has a broken collar bone. I'm not talking a little crack either, I'm talking broken in half. I'll have to take him to an orthopedic Doc next week to determine whether or not they will have to straighten the bone out or if it will heal like it is. The ER Doc showed James the x-ray and so he has been telling us all night "I didn't want my bone to break with one on top of the other." I know baby. I didn't want it to either!
He's not very upset about the treatment he is receiving though. Watching movies all day and having Mom bring you drinks isn't half bad.



16 comments:
POOR BABY!!!! Burgess broke his collar bone on his mission and still to this day shivers at the pain of it. He said that the doctors told him it is the most painful bone to break (some compare it to child birth). I don't know if it's that same for little growing boys, but still what a brave boy to make it through a haircut, one urgent care and then a long drive to another hospital AND he's smiling in this picture. What a sweetie!
Ouch! Poor James...He is one tough little guy. He looks very happy on the couch and I am sure mommy is taking very good care of him.
Oh My Gosh How awful! I haven't had any broken bones and so far the kids haven't either I can't imagine the pain he must be in. Poor little guy!
Poor guy and poor mom! that must have been heart wrenching. I do love the red dress and the very sweet face in the end. What a cutie!
So sad, Sally you're too cute. You're a lot stronger than I would have been. I probably would have just sat down at the hospital and started crying.
well, I loved the picture in the dress. I hope he starts feeling better!
Oh my gosh! I am so sorry. It breaks my heart when kids are in pain. We'll keep him in our prayers.
Oh my gosh Sally. John and I are so upset for you and your family and the red sequin dress wearing boy!
I'll call you tomorrow. We're praying for you all.
Oh I am so sorry Sally! Chris broke his collar bone when he was in the 4th grade. Poor James, I hope he recovers quickly! The red dress pic is priceless though. We have some great pics like that of our Jacob.
I am glad that at least you have a husband that has some inside connections. Hopefully the Dr. appointment will go well and he will get back to himself.
That's insane!! Poor boy. It's so wrong that they turn away a little boy with broken bones. What's the world coming to? Hey, I was checking out his legs for any scars from the hot glue gun... please tell me there's no perminent scars!! (poor kid!)
haha...forgot about the hot glue gun!
Poor James! He is so darn cute in that last picture (and in the sequin dress), you'd never know he was injured.
Ohhh poor James. He looks so pitiful with that sling on. I hope everything goes well at the doctors.
Oh my gosh. i can't believe you painted that room 4 times and i CAN'T BELIEVE your boy has a broken collarbone! And I thought I had a crazy week.
Oh dear! You did have a busy week! Choosing a paint color is SO HARD! Been there... a lot of times! But your room looks fab! Good choice I think.
And James is darling.... broken collar bone or not. I hope charlie never breaks any bones (ya right!)
Spinning in a chair and then a broken bone? hmmm? Maybe similar to two kids on the top bunk playing "elevator"? "Hey Sally, I'll tie this rope to this chair and you just lower me down." Of course Keith only ended up with stitches.
Post a Comment