Monday, May 19, 2008

Husbands say the darndest things

A couple of days ago while I was in Florida visiting family (pictures to come) I had a very interesting phone conversation with my husband.

Me: What are you going to do this evening.
Josh: I'm going to do wife work.
Me: Wife work huh?
Josh: Well, there's a ton of laundry that needs to be folded and dishes to do.
Me: Ya I know what wife work is.
Josh: Do you?!

Even though this was all playful banter, there was definitely a part of him that was serious. I mean, isn't that what we do. Hint to people in a joking way hoping they will some how catch on.

So, honey I got your hint, but here's the thing.

  • Your a guy, which right there explains why you just don't get how hard it is to be the mom.
  • Your not home all day with three kids, nor were you home all day with even two kids while I was gone.
  • Cooking, cleaning, bathing, feeding, and having tea parties and sword fights gets really old really fast so after years of doing it I sometimes just don't feel like doing it any more.
  • And it's not that I'm not capable of doing "wife work" it's just that sometimes I'd rather play with my friends. Which is one of the privileges of being a stay at home mom.

I would however like to thank you for never complaining that I only cook a few times a week and sometimes not at all. For doing the dishes on those nights that I do cook. For telling me I look beautiful even though I showered and put pajamas back on. For always having the house clean when I come back from being out of town, even though it's not always clean when you come home from school. For not complaining about me leaving you with two kids for a week while you are trying to study for boards. And for defending our children from killer wiener dogs. Your the best!

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Way to go Josh!! (On defending the kids from the weiner dog...he totally deserved it!)

Lisa said...

Yeah we noticed that James had the same outfit on two days in a row while you were gone. I really wish I could be more "husband like" and less "wife like"! You're going to have to tell me the weiner dog story!