Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Why we do it...and why we don't

Why is it that we as people always seem to have a knack for stating the obvious? If you walk into a room that's dark, even though everyone knows that it's dark in there, someone has to pipe up and say "wow it's really dark in here." I'm not saying that I'm innocent of this very thing I'm just wondering why we do it.

Why is it that when I was eight months pregnant people felt the need to approach a complete stranger and say "wow, you look like your about to pop." "Oh thanks I had no idea!"

And now that I have three children, why is it that everywhere I go at least one person, usually mid 40's and up, has to say "looks like you have your hands full." Yes, I know I look frazzled and tired and like my head might explode if one more of my children runs away from me, but again I ask why is it necessary to point it out?

Why can't everyone be like the sweet little mom at McDonalds last week who simply said "by the way, you look amazing." Is it weird that I love her even though I don't know her.
So this is my next question. Why don't we give each other more compliments? So many times I think "wow, she looks so cute today, or I really like her hair" yet all I do is walk by the person and smile. I've even said to myself before "just say it" but some how the words don't come out.
Now, I've had plenty of negative thoughts pop into my head that I would like to share but refrain from doing so because it seems like the right thing to do. Why can't I get myself to say all the good stuff? Am I alone in this dilemma?
Maybe you are all better people than me, but just the same I would like to challenge everyone, myself included, to say all the nice things that pop into our heads this week.

And since I think a post just isn't as fun without a picture, here is one just to show you all how we roll around here.


10 comments:

Jennifer said...

You are not alone...I do the same thing all the time...I can't tell you how bugged I get when people tell me I have my hands full...YES I KNOW! Is all that comes out as nice as I can make it sound...I am going to try and be better about saying things to people...Nice things that is ;)

Kory Jane said...

Nice thought Sally, this will be a hard challenge for me since I tend to lean toward the negative thoughts. This will be good for me I think. So let me start off with telling you how much I admire you for sticking to no dairy for little Macy. You are awesome.

Kate said...

Funny post!!! When I first got Charlie, and when I was out... people would always ask me how old my baby was... then they would look at me... look back at Charlie and then say, "you look really good!" and you know what I would say. "Why thank you. Good genes, I guess." Ha! Never got old! Still makes me chuckle!

And then another time, I went to the grocery store and this college punk was ringing me up, and I yawned (I had Charlie with me). And he says, "don't start yawning, I just got done doing that! I only got 6 hours of sleep last night and I'm so wasted." WHAT!! I wanted to say, well, I was up every 2-3 hours all night. Try that. Have an infant... then you'll know what tired really is. I'd die to get 6 straight hours.

Instead I said something like, "Oh, that's too bad. Sorry dude." It made me laugh, because someday he'll have a baby, and then he'll really wish he could get that 6 hours back!!!

Thanks for the reminder to say nice things! and sorry this comment is so long. sheesh!

Danielle said...

Oh that has been totally happening to me...the having people tell me I look like I am going to pop at any minute...except now its actually true, but they have been saying it for months! One lady in Eddie Bauer said it and then I think felt bad because she totally back tracked it was pretty funny. Ugh but it happens all the time.

Anyway...good for you for being positive! And I am sure you do look great.

PS. An easy way to make curtains is to use fusible web tape for the side seams...less sewing that way. You email me if you want more info. daniellebwilson@gmail.com. I'm sure your curtains will be darling, but I don't know how anyone gets anything done with three kids!

Real Life Roberts said...

I thought Connor was the only one who wanted all his cool loves on all at once...his new thing is the flipflips too. So I love the pic!

I admitt I had a terrible habit of negativity. I hated how I felt so I changed and the first time it's hard (to get the neg out of your mind) then after that it gets easier, espeically if you are more voacl about it...HEY YOU'RE A GREAT PERSON!!! Love ya!

Anonymous said...

One time at a parking lot at a gracery store, I was with all five kids. We were in our Sunday clothes for a wedding reception and I stopped for a card. As we were walking out of the store, a man stopped his car and told me that we were a beautiful sight and that I look great for having all of the children. I still remember it today! Great idea Sally.

melissa said...

it does feel good to get a compliment from the stranger. And I totally agree on the annoying comments that people always say.

I like the pic of James what a cutie!

Anonymous said...

Sally you are so right!!!! I'm gonna try harder to point out the obvious POSITIVE things and not the negative. I am making this a goal for myself... thanks for the inspiration!!!!

Quin's momma said...

You guys are so fashionable!!! Yes, I liked the Just Another Hole place. I don't think there's as much scar tissue involved with needles. Also, I think it's more sterile than say, going to Claire's.

Mrs. Cropper said...

That is a really good challenge. Why on earth don't we say every nice thing that we think? (And why do we not always hold our tongue when we're thinking mean things?!_ Here's what I'm bad about lately--making too many apologies. Here's what I mean--lots of days lately I don't get a shower or change out of my yoga pants and every person I see has to hear, "Yeah, maybe I should take a shower today..." or they come to my messy house and I have to make 10 comments about it. No one cares, why do I have to make such a big deal and apologize 87 times?