Spring has been teasing us the last couple of weeks. We have 70 degrees one day and then it snows the next. The last few days have been beautiful though and the kids are loving it.
Days like this make me excited to work on my flower beds. I attempted it last year but as this is the first home we have ever owned it was also my first attempt at any type of gardening.
I have decided though that I'm not going to dwell on any of my failures from last year, just look forward to a new start.
...And since I am starting over I was thinking of doing a container garden instead of in the ground. Our soil out here is terrible. I don't know much about either type of gardening so I'm wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom for a beginner. Is there a down side to container planting or is it just visual preference?


5 comments:
Cute pictures! I have been starting to plan our yard work too. Last year was our first attempt. some things worked out and some didn't. I think this year I will have my mom help me pick out plants and flowers.. lol
I love it when the weather is warm enough to send the kids outside...The kids ran in sprinklers forever today! It was great to just let them out and give me quite time...
The kids look like they are loving the tramp...My kids keep begging for one...
Well, I had big plans for my garden before we moved and now I no longer have a space for it. But I bought a book called square foot gardening on amazon for cheap, and was going to do it. My mother-in-law does it and she says it's awesome. You build a 4x4 foot box (with any type of wood) then section it off at the top and plant a different thing in each section. You could do tomatoes in 3 of the sections, peas in another, carrots in another, and so forth. I'm sure Josh could whip you up a box. You put your own dirt in their so it's really high quality, and the best part is you can move it around your yard. So if you don't like where you have it one year you can switch it up for the next year. I think it's pretty fool proof. The book walks you through everything.
That was long! Yicks! Enjoy your warm weather and your garden for the both of us!
Well I have been doing research to put flower beds in the backyard and they suggested testing the soil and then add what was lacking for the best growth. So as soon as April gets here I will be getting a soil testing kit. Maybe we can do this step together if you are thinking of in ground. This will also give me something to do outside, like weeding when the kids are playing. By the way, I am so excited about Saturday....who hoo.
I planted my first flower garden last year too. It was a lot of fun. I was sad to see them die when winter came. I'm looking forward to it this spring though. good luck with yours. Sorry I don't have any advice though. I Do NOT have a green thumb at all. Good luck!
Post a Comment