My sweet little Macy, I fell in love with you the first second I saw you. Your beautiful blue eyes and squishy little cheeks just melt my heart. I know you feel the same about me. How do I know this you might ask...
You hate your boppy swing, you hate your car seat, you hate your stroller, and you hate your bouncy chair.
But you love to be in my arms..or on my boob. Mostly the second one.
For the most part that's OK, I love holding you in my arms, I don't so much love the second one, but that's OK too.
The problem with this lies in me going anywhere without you...IMPOSSIBLE. And it's really pretty daunting to go anywhere with you.
Every week we take a trip to the grocery store.
I feed you, I change you, and I burp you, at least three times to insure our trip runs smoothly. We set out in the car where you usually cry but eventually give in and fall asleep. "Ahh" I sigh, a peaceful trip with no toddlers grabbing everything in sight...or knocking over giant toilet paper towers.
At the store I always start at the back and work my way to the front to move things along as quickly as possible. However, about the time I reach for a gallon of milk I start to hear stirrings from underneath the blanket and inevitably an "oh crap" escapes my lips. I quickly push the cart along hoping the movement will put you back to sleep, but by the time I am reaching for a carton of eggs you are beside yourself in a fit of rage. Why? I don't know. Someday please explain.
So, I scoop you up and with another sigh I set off on another adventure of holding a crying baby in one arm and pushing the cart with the other. This works out fairly well until we reach the frozen food isles. By this time the cart is really full and really heavy and although I've been working out I just don't have any arm strength which makes this task very difficult.
If I was your aunt Kory who has guns of steel and can bench press 110 pounds maybe it wouldn't
be so hard. (see picture below.)

(She's not even flexing!)
So, I have been asking myself over and over "will I ever have time to myself? will I ever be able to leave you with your Dad?"
Enter THE SWING
This wonderful mechanical devise came into our lives just a few short days ago, but we already have a bond so strong that I would cry if it ever left us. Because..
You sat in it, you smiled in it, you loved the way it rocked from side to side, you loved the soft ocean sounds and colorful fish, and you even FELL ASLEEP in it!!
And now, I will be going out tonight with Aunt Kory to eat some yummy food and to shop for things that I wish I could have but don't have the money for, without worrying if you are screaming bloody murder because you are tired but don't have mom to put you to sleep. (and by that of course I mean my boob) Love, Mom
To my beloved swing. I promise to love and cherish you always. I promise to change your outrageously expensive D batteries with impressive swiftness. And I promise to never let James sit in you, because I know he will try.


7 comments:
Aren't swings wonderful! I hope her love for it continues! Enjoy her while she's tiny, as you know, they grow way to fast!
...and have fun going out on the town tonight!!! Live it up!
You are too funny! I'm stoked that the swing works! Cross fingers that it stays that way...
I hope the swing works wonderfully without you there to witness it. I hope you have a good time tonight, and I hope you find some coupons for the batteries!
ha ha ha, wow do you need to write a deep poetry book. I was really impressed. I had a great time last night, wish we had the time and money to do that more often. Back to reality now!! See ya at church.
Sally you are so funny...I am so glad you finally found a swing she is happy with...I hope you enjoy lots of breaks while she sits and sleeps in her swing...
I am so jealous of the swing. I wish mine did that kind of wonders. My "high maintenance" baby only likes me...and sometimes not even me. Not even the boob. I'm glad you finally found something she likes!!
Hi Sally. You probably don't remember me but I was in the Rollins' ward back in Lumberton about a million years ago and you and I met right before you and Josh got married. I found your blog by way of Betty and just wanted to say that I really enjoy your writing! I had to chuckle more than once reading the Swing post. How very interesting it is how two people who've only met once long, long ago can find that they have so much in common because we're both mothers! :)
~Sarah Hillgrove
Post a Comment