Every mother will experience at least one moment with each of their children when they nominate themselves for the Worst Mother in the World award. If it hasn't happened to you already don't worry I promise it's coming.
I got my first award when Samm was about two. Long story short she wouldn't give me the pen she was writing all over everything with so I yanked it out of her hand not knowing that the clippy thing on the side had been broken off and the jagged plastic ripped through her finger.
Award number two was last summer when James almost drowned right in front of my face because I wasn't paying attention. It was hands down the scariest moment of my parenting career. Thank goodness for my overly paranoid about water daughter who simply said "Mom look at James." Yes he was completely under the water. This one still makes me sick to my stomach when I think about it.
And award number three came this morning. It was much sooner than I would have anticipated, but inevitable so I guess I'm glad it's over with. Macy kept scratching my chest with her finger nails and I was already irritated with the other two kids so I decided to clip her nails even though she was tired and crying. Half of the award is for being annoyed at her for screaming the whole time I was doing it.(Like she should have just forgot about the fact that she was tired) The second half of the award is for clipping the top of her finger instead of the nail. After 20 minutes of pressure with a tissue it was still bleeding so I had to put a band aid on her tiny little finger. She seems to be OK this evening but I still felt pretty bad all day when I looked down and saw the band aid.


8 comments:
Oh, SAlly!
That just brought back some memories! I did the same thing to one of Hannah's fingers the first time I clipped her nails. I think just about every mom has done it--or maybe it's just us. Either way, you're not alone. :)
I'd say if those are the worst things you've done, then you are doing great!
When I was is nursing school one of my instructors told us to bite babies finger nails off instead of using clippers to avoid cutting their finger. Funny huh. But ever since then I am terrified of cutting finger nails.
I peel off Ava's finger nails because I'm afraid to clip them for that very reason.
I had my first worst mom moment when Ava was only a few days old so you're doing better than me!
I was just looking at your blog and you were commenting on mine. We really must be good friends; you're totally on the boat! We have been Ebaying some jackets and other equipment. Where is the sun and warm temps though???
I pinched Avenley's thigh with the buckle to her car seat. It wasn't that bad, but for the next couple of days she kept saying "this is where mommy hurt me" so that made me feel great...
Melissa-James told everyone at church that I cut Macy's finger and he mentioned it to me this morning.
I have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. I have never hurt my child, or ignored her, or been irritated with her. And if you believe that- I have some ocean-front property in downtown Phoenix to sell.
I have clipped Quinlynne's finger, and I've pinched her thigh in the carseat buckle..she currently has a pretty blister on her thigh from that one. Poor thing- now holds her legs far apart when it's time to buckle in.
OH so sad! I hate those event that will stay wth you for a long time...and once you forget something or someone will remind you of it and all the sick feeling will revisit. Hey, you're a great mom!
Post a Comment