Friday, July 8, 2011

Big Lots is a strange place

As most of you know I have weird things happen to me while I'm at stores. For some reason I attract mean, crazy people at grocery stores who like to yell at me and make me cry. At Big Lot's I also attract strange people but at least they are nice so it's not so bad. It probably doesn't help that this one particular Big Lots is in an "interesting" part of town, so there are always very "interesting" people inside of it. And by interesting I don't mean bad or scary, I just really mean kind of different.

Anyway, A couple months ago I was leaving Big Lots with all the kids when this woman followed me out to my car to tell me that as soon as she saw Samm she just knew that God had big plans for her and that she was going to do great things in her life. Of course we've always thought she was going to do great things in her life, (we're her parents, how could we not!) but it was still a little weird to have a woman standing at my car window telling it to me.

Today I was there again with all my kids because they have really cheap planter boxes and I'm cheap so that's why I go. And as I was standing in the candy isle letting the kids pick out a treat for being good and getting ready to explode because they wouldn't just pick one! I heard a woman say "Excuse me!" I was a little hesitant to look up because she said it kind of harshly, but when I did look at her she just started clapping her hands. It took me a second to realize that she was applauding me for not completely losing it with them. I wasn't quite sure what to say so I just thanked her and then hurried up the decision making and we left.

So, even though there are very "interesting" people who shop at Big Lot's they are very nice to me and I will take that over being yelled at in a grocery store any day!

3 comments:

Kory Jane said...

I guess we should just accept a round of applause wherever we can get it....that is pretty funny though. You should have bowed.

Anonymous said...

You just attract people - that is a really great talent!!!!

Seth and Julie said...

Someone literally applauded your parenting? How cool, I think that should happen to mother's more often.