Wednesday, November 3, 2010

We do our part

When I was in the sixth grade my elementary school became really excited about recycling. Some of the teachers and students even came up with a little song that they would sing at the assemblies. That song happens to be just annoying enough that I have never forgotten it. In fact I think it might be haunting me, because every so often it pops into my head and I CAN'T MAKE IT STOP!

Wanna hear it? Too bad.

"Recycle, recycle, recycle now. There's nothin to it if you just know how. So tell your Momma and your Daddy and your sister too, (dramatic pause) recycling is the thing to do."

I'm not kidding you, that song has been in my head for the last 18 years! Maybe it was my guilty conscience drudging it up all these years that I have not been an avid recycler. It's not that I'm opposed to recycling and doing my part for the earth, it's just that for the 10 years that Josh and I have been married, we've never lived in a town that picked up your recyclable items each week. Until now. Michigan is VERY into recycling. And I'm not at all exaggerating when I make those letters bold. I mean, you don't even put your lawn clippings or leaves in black trash bags. They go in special paper bags that get picked up by a special truck. They even give you 10 cents back for each pop can that you recycle! Anyway, basically what I'm saying is that now we have a little blue bin that gets put out on the curb every Thursday along with the trash can. We are doing our part.

So, last week we had some crazy wind storms that blew through here. One afternoon I was standing in the kitchen and out the back window I happened to see a blue recycle bin blow down the street and stop right behind our house. After several days of laying unclaimed (one of our neighbors is not currently doing their part for the earth) My kids decided to make good use of it. and turned it into a leaf house. Do you see the rake roof?


I know it looks like he is licking the leaves, but I think he was just trying to make a funny face.



So, now that we are doing more than our fair share to reuse and recycle, that song better leave me alone!

2 comments:

Jenn said...

AGGH!!! That song haunts me too!! I will never, ever be able to forget it!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness - Samm and James look so BIG!!! I don't remember them that big. We all have those "haunt me" songs. Mine happens to be the Cannibal King - go figure!!!