Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Confession

From the day we got the phone call letting us know that Michigan would be our new home, I had in my mind a picture of Alaska. All I could think about was snow and cold and no sun. I was seriously dreading it. In fact I pretty much lived in denial up until the day we pulled out with our big yellow truck. Of course it was a gorgeous summer and I thoroughly enjoyed the mid 80's temps all the way through August, but in the back of my mind I was always thinking about how cold it was about to get.

Well, September has come and gone and now October is almost over and it is still a beautiful array of orange, red, and yellow outside my window. Nothing like the white color painting Utah right now! ( I should probably go knock on wood for saying that.) And maybe we will be covered in a blanket of white by next week, but right now it is still fall, so we are living it up with pumpkins and apple pie. Oh, and pumpkin butterscotch cookies. My favorite!





James won the award for scariest pumpkin last night at our ward's trunk or treat with that fierce looking monster in the middle. So the competition was a little scarce, it was still very exciting.

This was my first time ever making home made apple pie. She may not look that pretty, but it was delicious! I did cheat and use pre-made crust, but the apples were straight from the orchard.

Not only was it delectable hot from the oven (more like warm-ish because we had to eat dinner first) but it was yummy for breakfast the next morning! Apples = breakfast. You know you do it too!

I used this recipe. In fact, I've started using a lot of their recipes. The grilled pizza is soooo good and super easy. You have to try it!

6 comments:

Seth and Julie said...

I couldn't believe that Utah had snow either. We have had a really mild Fall. We have massive winds this week, and it has torn all the leaves off the trees, but it is still almost 50 degrees. We usually freeze on Halloween. I'm glad you are adjusting to your new home.

I love that your kids just stuck their hands right in the pumpkin guts. We just finished carving pumpkins and my kids were in gloves, and still wimpy. Kudos to James on the big win, and to you for tackling apple pie. And yes, I admit to eating pie for breakfast and even justifying it if it is apple or banana cream.

melissa said...

I'm glad you still have fall! Our leaves haven't turned yet, but it got sooo cold way too fast! It's hard to beleive we had 80's in OCT and now it's freezing! No snow at my house yet though! I'm jealous of all your cooking! I wish I had more time for things like that!

Real Life Roberts said...

It's a tradition at our house that if there is homemade apple pie...we get to eat it for breakfast...IF there is some left over. Fun!

Kory Jane said...

That looks so good right now. Wishing I could have a bite. Gotta wipe the slobber of my screen now.

Shannon said...

I am going to have to make that apple pie! I haven't made a pie for months. By the way, I love the look on Samm's face while she is holding the pumpkin guts.

The Michiganders said...

Unfortunately, those sunless, cold days are still ahead. But ya gotta love Michigan in the fall. It is pretty amazing. We just all need therapy in February.