"Ugh. Really?" I totally forgot. All of kindergarten is celebrating the beginning of fall today by dressing up as scarecrows. Luckily for James, I wasn't about to let him go to school without a costume so I stayed up incredibly late scrounging around and hot gluing.
Unfortunately, just as I was finishing up the shirt and pants and thinking that was a pretty good last minute pull together, James woke up and came in to see what I was doing. When I showed him the costume he said "where's the hat? Scarecrows have straw hats."
So, how do you throw together a straw hat at midnight using only what you have on hand? An old baseball hat, minus the bill, raffia, and a lot of hot glue. I think I pulled just as much glue off my fingers as I put on the hat.
The hat ended up looking like some sort of safari hat gone wrong, but it's a hat and it's made of straw. Good enough. James got a little apprehensive though as soon as it was time to go to the bus. He told me "I don't think I need a hat. I'll just leave it here."
You better believe I made him wear it anyway. Don't worry he was fine. None of the kids at the bus stop laughed at him, and he even saw a few other straw hats (cowboy hats) looking out the window of the bus, which is when he happily plopped it back on and bounced up the steps.


8 comments:
I give you an A+, especially because you procrastinated. He looks great. How crazy that you were able to do all that with just what you had around the house. I think that with the talent you have, you could help people come up with do it yourself, inexpensive costumes for kids. This is not the first costume you pulled together. AND you are good at restoring stuff, and reinventing old jewelry. I seriously think you could make money off of helping people "recycle" old stuff.
Oh, and I totally would have made him wear the hat, too.
Wow, I am sersiously impressed! I give you extra credit for doing it last minute. I would have said, "oh well. I guess you don't get a costume!"
You are a good mom. Very cute.
Great job, Supermom!!
Oh, you are your mother's daughter! Awesome job mama!
p.s. Save it because Macy will be needing it in a few years. :)
Of course you can pull that off... you rock!
I think he looks so cute. You did a great job
Post a Comment