Friday, September 10, 2010

Lights out

Today Macy woke up at 7:00 am and at 9:00am asked if she could take a nap. Actually, she was whiny so I asked her if she needed a nap, and she said "yes!" So I put her in bed and she slept for two hours.

After her nap we headed to Target to do some light shopping and browsing. Of course I did the browsing first, instead of taking care of my list. And the second I headed off in the direction of my first item, without warning, the entire store went pitch black. I think my heart actually stopped for half a second, and I'm pretty sure I reached down and grabbed Macy's hand much harder than was actually necessary. You never know though how many crazy people might be wandering around stores just waiting for a random power outage so they can snatch a kid! It could happened.

Anyway, it only took about ten seconds for the stores generator to kick on, but I decided to abandon my list and get out. Dark stores are just a little too spooky. And not a quarter of a mile down the road we discovered the reason for the outage. The power company was trying to get rid of a tree that had tangled itself up in the power lines. Phew! no terrorist or child snatchers on the loose!

After that we headed to Pier One to drool over their pretty couch pillows and Macy was so good that I bought her a little tiny container of pink goo. It's harmless right?


Fortunately for me, Samm did the exact same thing with silly putty when she was that age so I already knew to not panic. Unfortunately, we were only half way through our grocery shopping at that point so I got to walk around for 30 minutes with the kid who stuck pink goo in their hair.

And should this ever happen to your child...

  • Spray liberally with cooking spray
  • Let sit for 20 min
  • comb out

Of course once you comb it all out you have to sprinkle their head with cornstarch to soak up all the oil and then wash their hair several times. But hey, the goo came out and they probably needed a bath anyway.

PS. I got my bench yesterday. I'll show pictures once it's painted to match the other chairs. I'm very excited about it, and all three kids can fit on one side of the table now. I told Josh all we need is one for the other side and we could manage six kids. He didn't even laugh, which is how not funny he found my little joke.

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Thanks for the info. Ava is bound to wind up with something like that in her hair one of these days! Oh, and I think Ava has the same sweater as Macy. Old Navy? Ruffle Cardigan?

Dee dee said...

6 kids? Sure, what's a few more?
Glad you're back on. We've missed you. Love the pictures too.

Anonymous said...

Oh Sally, I am so glad that you are posting again. I have ALWAYS enjoyed your wit. I know I have told you before, but you have such a way with writing - you should write a book about your experiences with your family. I hope you are keeping a journal of all this so that your future generations will know you. Love the pictures.