Monday, November 2, 2009

winterize your hair

A friend of mine mentioned the other day that I haven't posted any hair tips in quite a while.

Well, the truth is that I just plain forgot. Sorry!

So here is what I am thinking about today. Winter is coming, the air is dry, and my hair feels like straw.

If you are in the same boat as me than this is what I suggest you do...

1. Get a really good deep conditioning treatment! Ask your stylist to do it next time you go in, or for a cheaper route stop into your local beauty school.

2. Stop in at a Sally's Beauty Supply and pick up a packet of ion effective care treatment and one of extreme moisture nurturing creme. The little packets are usually by the front register and they look like this.
I haven't seen the moisture packets in all the stores, but for sure get the protein packet! If your hair is coloured, takes abuse from hot styling tools, or most likely both, than you need the protein to repair the damage. Damaged hair=dry and dull!

3. Get a good moisturizing shampoo. Pureology is my favorite, but most brands will cary one.

4. Let your conditioner sit on your hair for a good five minutes each time you wash it. (You can shave your legs while you wait.) Remember though that the majority of the conditioner should go on the ends and middle of your hair. Very little if any should go on your scalp.

5. And finally, if you have severely dry or curly hair, invest in a good leave in conditioner. I haven't used any in years so I don't have one to recommend, but I'm thinking this winter will be a good time for me to start shopping around.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to talk to my stylist. I need my usual anyway!

Rachel said...

Thanks Sally! ;) I guess I did have the right packet after all...and it definitely is time to do it again!