Wednesday, November 11, 2009

My Mom would be so proud


Watch out folks, I've been temporarily domesticated! And I do say temporarily because I've had these types of episodes before. They don't last long. Mostly because my husband's diets don't last very long. (I love you honey!)

So, a little over two months ago Josh left us to go traipsing around the country doing who knows what. OK, so he was securing a spot for himself in an orthopedic residency program and thus securing our future! It was a pretty hard two months. We got to see him a few times, but for the most part it was just me, the kids, the cat, the mouse, the ants, and the slugs at home.

Can you guess how many times I cooked dinner?

Once! And James walked into the house and asked "Mom, what's that smell?

"Well son, thats the smell of food cooking!

So now that Josh is back I figured it was time to start cooking again. He probably would complain about mac 'n cheese four nights a week.

Not only am I just cooking dinner every night, I'm trying to incorporate more vegetables. Instead of a large main dish with a side of vegetables, I'm doing a smaller main dish and two vegetables. Or one vegetable and a salad.

You think you know what is coming next huh? How do I get my kids to eat more vegetables? Wrong! My kids love vegetables. They could eat steamed broccoli every night. The problem is me.

It's not that I hate vegetables, I just don't love them. I need them to have more flavor. More pizzaz!

So, I'm on a mission to discover new ways of cooking vegetables. And this is the part where I ask for your help. Please share your secrets! I'll share my two latest.

First: Oven baked broccoli. I tossed the broccoli in a little bit of canola oil and then sprinkled it with Montreal steak seasoning and garlic salt. I cooked it at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. SO GOOD! It seriously didn't even taste like broccoli.

Second: Candied carrots. I'm not as in love with these as I am the broccoli, but they were still pretty good. I posted the recipe over here.

I have to say, I'm actually kind of enjoying my moment of June Cleaver-ness!

6 comments:

Kory Jane said...

I am impressed. Although you are lucky that your kids eat vegetables willingly. I have to basically force mine to eat anything from that food group. Hopefully they will catch on as they get older. Good luck with everything.

Ria said...

Brooke sent me a can of Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning. She says they eat it on veggies all the time in the south. pretty much you use it like you would salt except you get spicy seasoning instead of just salt. I'm not a huge fan of spicy so I'm not a big user although i do like it on cream of veggie soups. Brooke says they use it on EVERYTHING. So if you like spicy that might be something to try.

Amy said...

you'd be surprised how much flavor is in the vegi it's self. I like to combine vegi's that have tons of flavor with others that are healthy but less flavorful - for example, onions and bell peppers have TONS of natural flavors, zucchini and eggplant not so much. Put those together with a little salt and pepper maybe throw in a diced tomato or two and then go to town with fresh herbs and you are good to go. Bake in the oven so you get a nice roasted taste - this is SUPER healthy and very easy.

Seth and Julie said...

I guess I am semi-domesticated because I do cook dinner every night. I do not eat or cook veggies too often. I don't like them and I still haven't learned that I have to eat them anyway. I do use lots of onions, garlic, peppers, and tomatoes in my cooking, if that counts for anything?

I guess that would be my tip for using veggies...hide them really well in something way tastier.

annie moffat karcher said...

My friend has this recipe for green beans that is soo good. she takes a can of green beans adds two big squirts of Italian dressing brings it to a boil, then she takes it off the heat and eats them. It is soo good

Lisa Anguiano said...

Squash is a really good one. U can do it with salt and pepper or with brown sugar. people either love it or hate it, I love it so maybe that's why I don't add too much to it. Also I love mashed sweet potatoes and regular potatoes mixed together. U could also make baked sweet potato fries. I like vegetables but not so much salad. But recently I've been trying out new toppings for spinach salads, like oranges, almonds and feta or raspberries and pecans.