Genetically, I'm about 95% my Mom. I got her height, build, and a lot of the same strengths and weaknesses. She was even kind enough to share her big bushy eyebrows with me. (totally random side note: Swedish people call uni brows, McDonald's arches. Funny, huh!)
So, what did I get from my Dad? Well, there is my Swedish coloring, or lack of I guess. My thin hair, my small feet, and my great distaste for clutter. Something about "stuff" and garbage piled up and spread out makes my skin crawl. I get annoyed by the laundry piles on the couch and all around angry when my house is a mess.
This means that I'm either a clean freak and my house is always spotless, or I'm annoyed all the time. Can you guess which one it is?
Well, in a boiling state of rage, I decided on Monday that I had had enough. No room in the house was safe, and when all was said and done I had an embarrassing three bags of trash and three bags for Goodwill.
Part of my little story I have to admit is to brag. My house is de-cluttered! But, the main thing I wanted to share is an idea that I got from my Dad a couple years ago.
He was building a house for a couple, and the wife had a binder that she kept pictures in of anything she saw that she might want in her dream house some day. He said it was so nice to work with them because she already knew exactly what cabinets she wanted in the kitchen.
For years now I planned on starting my own binder, but just never got around to it. Until Monday. As I looked at all my stacks of magazines that I had kept because there was a good idea of some sort in there my Dad's little story popped into my head and I decided that it was time.
My binder has a spot for things I may want in my dream home some day, but it also has gift and craft ideas. Holiday decorations, sewing tips, and anything else I decide is a good idea.
Now, instead of saving the whole magazine, I tear out the pages I want and throw the rest away. Thus reducing the madness inducing clutter!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
I used to do that and got out of the habit. Great reminder!
I am with you about clutter. I HATE it!!! Seth is a pack rat and I am always begging him to throw away his old crap. Who needs old newspaper articles or high school dance pics? Not me. I throw everything away unless it is used regularly.
Congrats on getting decluttered. That is always a good feeling! Good idea about the binder too. I was thinking you could even scan it and save on the computer and throw the actual picture away. That is what I do with my kids artwork.
I'm with you. I hate clutter too! And I love throwing things away. And I totally have a "Dream house file", it's actually labeled "Dream House" and it has all different sections (kitchen, laundry, design elements, furniture, bath, bed...) and it's stuffed full of things I love. I practically have the floor plan laid out. And I know EXACTLY what I want. Most of my stuff comes from Better Homes and Gardens. I also want to subscribe to Country Living and a few others. I love that stuff!
Way to go on getting your life de-cluttered! Now only if it could stay like that forever!
Thanks for sharing. I'm so stealing that.
And you used to kid me all the time about being a clean freak!!!!
Post a Comment