Thursday, October 3, 2013

One year older and starting to give mom anxiety

We are in party season at the Rollins house. Between birthday's and Holidays things will get a little hectic around here over the next few months...OK, things are always hectic, this just adds to it!

 
Samm's birthday always sneaks up on me and every year I swear it's not going to take me by surprise, but I was still running between stores last night trying to find anything to get her. Eleven year olds are really hard to buy for. They don't really want toys, but they aren't quite into clothes enough yet either. After wandering up and down isles, making a few phone calls for ideas, and starring at books for 45 minutes, I finally settled on a few things that I thought she might really like. I was mostly excited about the book I found here because it combined the two things she is most in to right now, horses and Greek mythology. And then she opened it and said "oh, I love this book! I read it at school."... Of Course! I offered to return it for something else, but she said she really did like it and wanted to keep it.

James was super duper sweet to Samm all day and kept wishing her a happy birthday to the best sister in the world! She is really is!


Her main gift was a much needed bathrobe. She loves all things zebra with hot pink right now, so this was the perfect find at her favorite store, Justice.


And Laila just loves anything the older kids do, say, eat, play, or wear. Do not ever cut up her food, unless you want to see a full blown Laila meltdown!


Laila wearing Samm's bathrobe kind of kills me, because that was just Samm. She was my baby just yesterday, and now she is a full fledged tween. I honestly never imagined it would be this hard to let her grow up. I am so lucky to have her as my daughter!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow! happy birthday Samm! Only a year away from young women, that's crazy! Avenley loves Greek Mythology too. I hated it when I had to study it haha.

Seth and Julie said...

My 11 year old is also loving Justice but I am sad that they Gymboree days are past and I agree that 11 years olds are impossible to shop for. Has Samm read the Percy Jackson series or Heroes of Olympus series? Alyssa geeks out on Greek Mythology too and she loved those books.

Anyway, Happy Birthday to Samm. In no time we will be worrying about Girls Camp and Stake Dances. Yikes! Sometimes I wish I could back to when all I had to worry about was coloring on the walls.

Sally said...

Julie, she has read Percy Jackson but not the Heros of Olympus. I almost bought her the Heros book one and changed my mind at the last second.

Anonymous said...

Tell Samm that I am definitely trying on her robe when I come!

Thompsonfamily1 said...

super cute, she looks like a teenager in the robe. So glad she had a great birthday. Kids grow up way too fast.

Dee dee said...

And what a beautiful tween she is!