Never in a million years would I have ever guessed that James would do anything other than play sports. I always assumed that he would be a football player like his dad. It's not that I was against him pursuing other interests, it's just that Rollins boys play football. Plain and simple.
It has also been pretty evident for some time though that he takes more after me in his physical makeup than he does Josh, which doesn't exactly scream football player. He also hasn't ever really showed an extreme interest in sports outside of playing in the backyard as a family.
About a year ago he started doing head stands All. The. Time. He got so good at them that we suggested he try spinning on his head just to challenge him a little. One day after he had become pretty good at spinning in a complete circle we decided to look at break dancing videos on you tube so he could see all the cool stuff that they do. James was hooked. When we told him that we had found a place that offered break dancing classes for boys he went right up to his room and changed his clothes because he wanted to start right that second.
Unfortunately we didn't have the money for it right then but told him that when we got our house sold we would look into it.
Three weeks ago was his first class and it was so cute how excited and nervous he was all at the same time. We actually just went to check it out on the first day and told him that he could decide whether or not he wanted to sign up. After class he came running out with the biggest smile on his face and said "I want to sign up right now!"
We are absolutely thrilled that he finally found something he loves other than video games and I can already seen the change that this has made in his confidence. Most of the other kids were still learning how to do head stands when he started so the fact that he could already spin on his head made him feel really special. Then, just this past Monday he told me very excitedly on the way to class that they were going to learn how to do back flips! Honestly, I was thinking there was no way they were actually going to be learning that but I didn't say that to him.
So, they were exactly learning back flips, but I was shocked that he really was teaching them back hand springs. James once again was the best one in the class because he has absolutely no fear. His teacher explained to him what he was going to do and then James said "OK" and jumped backwards. Then his teacher had him do it again several times in a row so that the other kids could see exactly what to do. I know it seems silly, but I was so proud of him!
Laila loves his break dancing class too. She hears the music start and heads straight to the door to watch and pretty much stays there for the entire 45 minutes.
And you should know that I already have big plans to see my B Boy James on So You Think You Can Dance someday!




9 comments:
I just think that is the coolest thing. I also would be one proud Aunt when he goes on So You Think You Can Dance. What a cool class.
Love everything about this post. From your backyard football pics I have always assumed he was an athlete. Good for you for not trying to fit a round peg in to a square hole. I think it is awesome that you have watched to see where his talents lay and helped him to strengthen then. It is not silly at all that you were proud of him in class...it is amazing to see your kid find their niche and gain confidence. And by the way, how cool is it that they have b-boy classes nearby. I hope some videos are forthcoming.
SYTYCD HERE WE COME!!! I'm so proud. I want to see a video of the back hand spring!
Oh, and I love Laila's red pants!
sounds like he would enjoy gymnastics, and probably hip hop too.
Thats awesome! I bet he is great!
LOVE IT! That is so great that he found something that really fits his personality.
He gets it from his Grandma Morgan.
:) I love Laila's interest too.
I am glad he loves it. I want to see some moves on video.
Post a Comment