Tuesday, March 16, 2010

We'll play again when the work is done

When we were kids my Mom came up with a little song that she would sing when it was time to clean up. It was a clever little song really, pre-dating the Barney clean up tune. I'm not sure how I felt about it as a little kid, but I can tell you that once I got older I HATED hearing it. And I'm pretty sure that I swore in all of my teenage loveliness that I would never sing it to my own kids. And to this day I have actually never sung it out loud, but without fail, whenever I am doing house work, it pops into my head.

"It's pick up time right now. It's pick up time right now. We'll play again when the work is done. It's pick up time right now."


I've been hearing it a lot these past few weeks. So much to do to get our house ready to sell.

When was the last time you cleaned out underneath your sink? Mine needed a serious paint refresher.

Our laundry room, which is more like a laundry closet has been on the top of my to do list every year, and some how I manage to avoid it. It was easier just to close the door and pretend that it didn't exist. Both sides looked just like this. No doors on the cupboards and all kinds of junk piled on the shelves. Along with four years worth of dust.

The door from the laundry room to the garage was ridiculous. mismatched trim around the whole thing and a home made cat door. (We didn't do that!)


It's so pretty now! If I had just buckled down and done this when we bought the house, maybe I wouldn't hate doing laundry so much. OK, I would still hate it.

And I know there is still an ugly hole in the door, but it does look better.


Our biggest project by far was to paint the outside of the house. I actually started this myself about 2 years ago, but after painting the garage door and the front door, I discovered wood rot and stopped. Josh did replace the wood rot not long after, but I had lost my motivation. I wish I had a good picture of the front of the house before but I can't seem to find one. So just imagine all of the trim and the garage door in this lovely brown color, and notice the front door is orange. I'm not a design expert by any means, but if you already have a house made of ugly orange brick, why in the world would you paint the front door orange? Someone really liked that color too, because they used it to paint the walls in one of the bedrooms.



A pretty blue door looks so much nicer don't you think? Actually, it's Gotham grey.

After painting non stop for three days straight, it finally looks like I always imagined it would. I'm so glad someone else will get to enjoy all of our hard work.


In fact, the whole house is finally coming together perfectly. Sigh! I'll have more pictures of the inside later. Right now I have to go re-paint the kitchen cabinets where I took off tape and it ripped off big chunks of the white paint. Cheap painters tape = bad words!

6 comments:

modern myrtle home said...

It looks fantastic!! Awesome. You have worked so hard these past few months. You deserve a l o n g nap.

Lisa said...

Wow, Sally! It looks fabulous. I can't believe the difference in the laundry room. Why is it we always do the work for the next homeowners and not for ourselves! Well, you have a couple months to enjoy it!

Kory Jane said...

I have to agree about the laundry room. It looks 100 percent better. It is amazing how we put things off and then have to finish only to move out. If only right? Keep at it. Good luck with the sale.

Seth and Julie said...

It looks great! Looks like a lot of work but hopefully it pays off when the offers come rolling in. Good luck selling!

Is your mom's song sung to The Farmer and the Dell? Just wondering because when I read it, it skipped through my head to that tune, but of course I have never heard it before.

Anonymous said...

My mom would always sing the dwarf song. Heigh Ho, Heigh Ho, it's off to work we go, to clean the house and mop the floor, Heigh Ho, Heigh ho. I had forgot about it until you mentioned your mom's song. I think I forgot to sing it to my kids - maybe I will try it on Linne'.

Dee dee said...

It's a melody that I think I made up, but it's similiar to "Just Whistle While You Work." Glad to know it's come in handy! It's lookin' good!