Sunday, October 11, 2009

Time to simplify

My week was busy. I didn't finish half of what I set out to do. Partly because I over scheduled my time, and partly because of some unexpected events.

I will tell you though that my week was filled with service, and I have not been this happy in a very long time.

I adored President Monson's talk last Sunday. "What have you done for someone else today?" Is now on my mind constantly.

Our Sunday school lesson today was on being self reliant. Both spiritually and temporally. Another great lesson. I left with the resolve to simplify my life. To be more frugal. I've never been one to make my own baby food or bake bread every week. I don't even shop at whole foods, but there are other things I can do. I'm actually pretty excited.

I started brainstorming before the lesson was even over, and this is what I've come up with so far. These are all things that I personally really need to work on.
  • Start packing lunches on Saturdays instead of running through the drive through after soccer games. Not only will it save on cash, but is a definite health boost.
  • Get better at saying "NO" when we are at the store and the kids say "Can we have?" I really don't buy that much for them, but I still think I could do better.
  • Shop second hand stores. My kids go through clothes so fast and there are so many second hand stores around that carry nice clean clothes. This also ties in with the convenience thing. I don't really enjoy sifting through all the "other" stuff to find what I need. But, in the end will definitely save in the cash department. Maybe I won't get so upset when Macy stains her shirt either.
  • Go on cheaper dates. Instead of dinner and a movie, we could eat dinner as a family and then go to a movie (at the dollar theatre). Maybe some ice cream after. Two ice cream cones cost a lot less than two dinners plus a tip.
  • OK here is a hard one. Cook dinner. Ugh! Even though it takes a lot of time to plan and prepare a meal, I know our family will benefit from it in so many ways. And, I actually really enjoy good leftovers for lunch.
  • And the big thing I really REALLY need to work on is only doing one project at a time. SIMPLIFY, SIMPLIFY, SIMPLIFY. Maybe I won't be such a crazy lunatic any more if I'm only focused on one thing instead of twelve.

Anyway these are just a few of my ideas. I would love more. I've actually got something in the works that is going to demand another slice of my time so I could use all the help I can get.

And, as a PS. My sister has started doing a sort of decorating on a budget over on her craft blog on Tuesdays so you should go check it out. And check out my sparkly pumpkins. That was the only thing I finished this week.


4 comments:

Amy said...

good for you sally!!! obeying the spirits promptings will obviously change your life....and changing is the whole point.

Anna-Kare said...

You may want to check out the book The Food Nanny Rescues Dinner by Liz Edmunds. Much of the dinner/cooking stress is removed when you are organized in this department. This is a great cookbook/food philosophy/getting organized in the kitchen book. I'm giving it for Christmas because I think it goes a long way to help in economy and stress-reduction. Just a thought....

Jenn said...

This was a good one for me today! I too have been SO busy. I've been working non-stop trying to finish the girls' room along with the many other projects I had started. Last night my 20 minute mobile project turned into two hours! (and still didn't turn out well) Then this morning hanging the girls' curtain rod turned into a nightmare and I found myself so stressed that I was taking it out on Ava. I stopped, came down here, read your post and decided it was time for a break. So thank you. I just need to slow it down and definately SIMPLIFY!! It doesn't have to all be done today.

Seth and Julie said...

Don't feel bad that you only have 4 pumpkins out. I don't have anything out. My poor house is never festive. All it ever sees is a Christmas tree.

What do you have in the works? I hate teaser lines like that. I am so nosy.