Friday, June 19, 2009

Creepy, weird, and just a little more creepy

I'm seeing a pattern in my life that I'm not too fond of.

You might remember last summer when Josh was out of town I had a very literal run in with a giant grasshopper and then a rabbit that decided to give up the ghost in our backyard.

Well, just this morning I kissed my honey goodbye and sent him packing on a 10 day boy scout hiking trip in New Mexico. I was calm, collected, and even happy as I laid on the couch with the kids thinking about all the hours we were going to spend at the pool and the pizza and cereal we would eat for dinner.

Then, not 30 minutes after Josh had walked out the door, a lovely little robin decided to fly into our house and attempted to land on the ceiling fan that was rotating on high speed. Feathers flew everywhere, I may have screamed a little, and all of us, the bird included, were wondering what in the heck was going on.

I was pretty certain at this point that the bird was not dead, but I was also certain that it had not gone back out the open door. So where was it?

I really didn't want to go looking for it. Too many images of birds viciously pecking people on the head came to mind. Instead I timidly peeked my head over the couch really hoping it wasn't hopping around with a missing wing.

To my relief, I spied it perched on the entryway table all body parts intact, bobbing it's little head.

OK, so now what?

Run after it and try and shoo it out? I don't think so!!!

No, scared little me sat on the couch and waited for it to make an escape attempt. Which it did after only about 30 seconds. Although it's first attempt was out the front door, which was closed.

So, somewhere out there right now is a robin with not so many feathers and probably a little bit of a headache.

What will tomorrow bring?

Sunshine and pizza I hope!

10 comments:

Amy said...

I hate flying things....for this VERY reason!

Seth and Julie said...

This is exactly why I am not built to be single. Animals are all Seth. He is going to Nauvoo with the youth this summer and then a month later to Minnesota with the Teachers Quorum. I will remember to leave my windows and doors closed and ceiling fans off.

Kory Jane said...

I have to laugh I can totally see you peeking over the couch slowly trying to locate the bird. Maybe it is a good thing you guys don't have a pet.

Jenn said...

So you know how people see birds flying above their heads in circles when they get smacked in the head?....Do birds see humans?

Anonymous said...

Where's the picture of the bird? What a cool shot that would of made. Also one of you guys peeking over the couch. You know we are here if you need us! Love you

annie moffat karcher said...

First of all creepy. I don't birds in my house either, and secondly jenn, funny but I don't think so.

Dee dee said...

Do you remember the story of the bird in our house in Phoenix? I built a fire in the wood stove and then opened the flue valve and a bird dropped down onto the fire. It started hopping around in the stove. I freaked out. At first I thought it was a rat and I just wanted it to die quick. Then I realized it was a bird. (Funny how I suddenly changed my feelings and wanted to help it live) I opened the door to the stove and it flew out, straight to the window and smashed into it. Then flew frantically around the room as I ran to the outside door and opened it. It escaped quickly and I thought about the same thing you did. That is one bird with sindged feathers and a headache!

Dee dee said...

One more thing, I love Samm's haircut! That is so cute!! And she does look older. Also, love your camera. I am so jealous!!! Great pictures!

Jenn said...

I just saw that Angle episode with the birds. I would have totally flipped out if that had happened to me!

The Thompson Family said...

I love to read your blog entries. I laughed the whole way through. I hope you don't have anymore run ins while Josh is gone. Love you!