While Josh was throwing together dinner for us tonight I had a thought.
"My poor husband really got shafted."
If he ever decides to trade me in it won't be for a younger skinnier model, it will be for one that feeds him on a regular basis.
I've gone through spurts where I make out a menu for the week and I usually do pretty good for a while but then it fizzles out. I thought about dragging out the cookbooks again tonight but decided instead to search the Internet for new recipes.
I found some recipes that I'm really excited about like grilled lime chicken with black bean sauce, and chocolate mint cupcakes. And since I need a little motivation I thought I would do another cooking week for all you other club members, only this time I will try the recipes first and then let you know what the family thought.
So, get ready folks, I'm going to break out the pots and pans. And use them for something other than mac'n cheese!


8 comments:
Sally,
The worst part is deciding what to cook I think. When my kids were your kids ages I used to make a menu for a month at a time (doing it once a month was better than once a week) and then I'd shop a week at a time, move days around however I needed to accommodate schedules,or even what I felt like making or eating that day, worked leftovers into the calendar and even had a day or two a month for new recipes. After a few months I had several months worth of recipes and could just rotate the months. It made my life much easier. I didn't always stick to it religiously but it was there so I didn't have to think so hard everyday. and remember, the crock pot is your friend...
Josh and Chris could sympathize together. He has to do the same thing some nights.
Where did you find the grilled lime chicken with black bean sauce recipe. That sounds really good.
Sometimes matt has to deal with the same old dinner too but hey he doesn't complain, soo I assume he likes it two days in row.
Have u heard about once a month cooking? Well some people do it once a week but basically u just buy and make it all at once and then freeze it in individual dinners so u can make say 10 meals in a day and then just triple them and have enough for a whole month. I've just been doing research so far and finding recipes that I like and that will freeze well. I can't wait to try it and hopefully it wont be so hard that I wont do it again. I plan to do it over couple days though, one day for shopping and prep and then the next day for cooking and storing.
It's one of my goals too. Get back to the the menu, and shop accordingly. It made my life so much easier. Good luck. Looking forward to some fun recipes.
I soooo feel your pain. I've always struggled with menu planning. Sometimes I really hate the whole dinner time of day. I did do meal planning for a little while, and it did help a TON, and I really should do it all the time, but sometimes all the foods on the meun we're burned out on, and it takes effort to find new recipes that are friendly to my family. I should just make it a habit...maybe I will...
Also I love your new profile pic. :)
I know lots of non-cooking moms...good moms too. I learned to cook and love it because I have an unhealthy obsession with food. So we all have our issues.
Okay now that I re-read that last comment I realize it sounds like I was saying I knew non-cooking moms and good moms...like they were 2 separate things. I meant non-cooking moms who are also GOOD moms. I just wanted to make sure you didn't take that the wrong way. That is the one bad thing about blogging. People can't hear your voice and interpret what you meant.
Post a Comment