Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Much thanks to the nice man for not being a baby snatcher!

We went to the post office this morning to get stamps because I keep forgetting that I am out and our garbage bill is now past due. And since it was early and not very busy I decided to pull up some counter space and just write out my checks right there so I could get the bills all paid.

James could not stop climbing on things though so I almost packed up to leave but instead decided to use my spectacular parenting skills and invited him over to be my big helper.

After the first bill was ready to go I handed it off to him to stick in the mail slot, only he couldn't reach it so I went over to pick him up. Then went back to my temporarily borrowed office space to write check number two.

About ten seconds later I realized that the post office was really quiet. Much to quiet.

I turned to the left. Then to the right.

"James, where is Macy?"

He shrugged. " I don't know"

You know that panic you get when you suddenly realize you don't know where your child is?

Well, that panic was quickly replaced by an adrenaline rush when the postal worker shouted " there she is, out front!"

Uh, ya. Out front as in out in the parking lot!

I don't know how long she had been out there, but I vaguely remember a man being in the post office and when he left she must have followed him out. The doors are all handicap accessible so they stay open for a few seconds, and I doubt he even knew she was behind him.

When I raced out to grab her he was still sitting in his truck though. Probably waiting for the lunatic lady to realize she lost her kid, because as soon as I went in he drove off.

So of course feeling like a stellar mom, I took the kids to the park to make up for it.

11 comments:

Jenn said...

Don't worry. You are a stellar mom. We all have those moments of "oh crap...where's my kid!" I just had one yesterday while shopping!

Pepple said...

Oh no! Those moments are always so scary! Did you know you can order stamps, and all other postal supplies online? It all comes to your door and most of its free. Once I had to pay 1.00 for shipping, but its worth it to not brave the post office with a slew of kids. The post office is always so painful.

Thor'sblog said...

That feeling is bad but one that is just as bad is when your a kid and your looking around not paying attention and then you reach up and grab a hold of your moms hand. You walk probably 5 min then you look up and in terror realize.....ITS NOT YOUR MOM!! Man I hated that. I just must have nice hands to hold.

amy said...

Sally, I read this and thought..."Amy, someday this will happen to you...." It happens to everyone. Burgess read it and said, "Freddy, you're going to be on a leash I don't care what people think." LOL - I was on a leash...and I turned out semi-OK right????

Kory Jane said...

That girl is a magician for sure. I am not surprised that she slipped away unnoticed. Lexie is the quiet slip away kind. I alway lose her in the store. At least the guy stayed to make sure Macy was ok....

Becky said...

Have you had to do the code Adam yet? Motherhood is not complete without that nightmare and humiliation. Gotta love those small daily blessings!

BeauRollins said...

It's ok Sally, my mom left me for like an hour before at Carolina Pottery. Still tramatized from that... Love you mom!

Seth and Julie said...

I think we have all had those "that could have ended badly" moments. I always feel guilty when someone is not so lucky because stuff like that could happen to any of us. I'm glad we usually get away with nothing more than a scare.

Lisa Anguiano said...

Don't feel too bad once I left the garage door open while I was using the faucet (in the garage) to fill up the pool and Luis got out he was about 3 at the time still completely non verbal and didn't even respond to his name being called I realized he was outside with a diaper and no shoes running toward the main street I kept yelling for him to stop and he kept going as if he didn't even here me. I ran barefoot as fast as I could and all day I was shaking! I had alarms on all the doors and most of the windows after that and I wanted to use those leash things,(never actually got one) it's better to be safe than sorry. Also I'm pretty sure that u can buy stamps at most atm machines.

Dee dee said...

You remember what happened to Shaun!!! I know the feeling. You're still an A+ mom in my book.

Jenn said...

Yeah, at least the man didn't take her away and call the cops like they did with Shaun!! That would have been a whole lot scarier. I think I'm still traumatized by what happened to Shaun! :) (by the way mom, you are still an A+ mom too!)