Sunday, March 16, 2014

Florida Chronicles

It makes me sad sometimes that I quite blogging, but no matter how sad I am, I can't seem to find the motivation or the time to start it up again. I actually tried about a month ago, but blogger was having issues and no matter what I tried, I couldn't get my pictures to load, so I took it as a sign and walked away again. Now we are on this fun adventure in Florida and I don't want this time to slip away undocumented. In fact, I make the kids write in a journal every morning as part of our school routine so they can always remember the fun things we did here. It doesn't really seem fair to ask something of them that I'm not willing to do myself, so here I sit. In FLORIDA! It's been two weeks, and I still get excited when I say it.



For anyone that happens to read this (not sure anyone still reads blogs) and wonders why we are suddenly living in Florida, here is the very short explanation.

Part of Josh's residency program is to complete four months of trauma training. The hospital in Michigan has something set up with two of the hospitals in Tampa that allows all of their residents to come here one at a time for four months. Total side note and not really important is that Josh is actually the last resident that gets to come to Florida, the program has made a change and the rest of the residents will be going somewhere else. Anyway, we've known all along that Josh would be coming here and the plan the whole time was for me and the kids to stay in Michigan because of various reasons including school and small housing accommodations. Anyway, about a week before Josh was supposed to leave I woke up feeling very depressed about how lonely I would be for four months and then looked outside and saw that it was snowing AGAIN and felt even more depressed, so I called him up at work and said "we're coming with you!" End of short story.

Josh was definitely happy that we were coming, but had his concerns. Will he be too distracted to write his paper, will we go crazy living in such a small space, will I go crazy trying to home school everyone? In the end though, we both agreed that even though there would be challenges, this would be a really great opportunity for our family to get back on track. Not that our family life has been terrible, but we have certainly felt like busy schedules and too many distractions have pulled us a part.

So, after a week of rushing around to get everything squared away, we loaded up both of our cars with only the most important items (no tv or xbox) and set out for sunny skies.

There are so many things I could write about already, but I will have to save most of it for next week because it is already way too late and would like to be nice mom school teacher tomorrow instead of grumpy mom school teacher. But I do want to mention a few of the great perks of living here.

1) Family time! Even though poor Josh is working crazy long days and nights, we have found plenty of time to go exploring together. And, we've already been able to hang out with Josh's brother Beau and his family who live 3 hours south of us.

2) No TV and no XBOX! Josh and the kids aren't as excited about this as I am, but this right here made coming all worth it. The kids are actually playing together, and reading books together instead of sitting in front of a screen. And, the effects on everyone have been noticeable. (more on that next week)

3) Smaller house means a lot less time cleaning! I really miss my garbage disposal though. Surprisingly, more than the dishwasher.

4) Warm, glorious, sunshine! My heart is happy!


Really, my heart is happy. I'm in heaven!




3 comments:

Seth and Julie said...

Good to see you back in the blogging world. I have kind of given it up too and I think it is mostly because it is just not as fun now that no one else is doing it. That, and because I can't even get everything else on my to-do list done. How exciting to spend 4 months in Florida. This was the perfect winter to ditch Michigan too. It was 7 degrees when I took the kids to school this morning and we are actually having a warm spell. This winter has been insane! I hope you will share some of your adventures so we can at least pretend that we are along for the ride. After this are you done with residency? What's next on the agenda? Any idea?

Kory Jane said...

Oh I may not blog, but I still read every new post posted by someone else. If that is not hypocritical I don't know what is. But I love that you are enjoying the sunshine and the time together. I don't know if I could do all my kids together at home with school. I need space and school allows me to be a better mom. Maybe this will help to motivate me to get going again....

Melissa said...

Glad you are enjoying your time! I have everyone's blogs in my reader so I get a notification of new posts! Really awesome that you guys get this time to relax and make memories!