Saturday, July 27, 2013

Take me out to the ball game

Whenever I have talked to other moms about sports or activities that the kids could be involved in I would always say something like "Baseball is so boring to me, I really don't want to be a baseball mom and I would die if I had to sit through hours of softball games."

So of course you know that all of my kids have decided that they love baseball and I just spent my entire birthday night watching 3 games in a row. And of course I loved it!

Macy's game was so cute with all the little kids running around not knowing what they were doing and hearing all the parents yelling "run, no drop the bat, stay there."

I was thrilled to be watching James play simply because he has found a sport that he likes and he is really pretty good at. He had a few good plays last night but struggled a little more than he has at practices because he was trying a little too hard to be the super star. He still had a great time though so I'm still crossing my fingers that it sticks.

And Samm was the biggest surprise of all. The whole time before her game Josh and I were both praying that she would at least make contact with the ball and have fun. She hasn't been the best fielder during practices and only an average batter and even she was nervous about being the worst one on the team. In her defense she hasn't played any sports since she was five and that was only one season of soccer. She is the only girl on this team and most of the other boys have played before. She ended up doing better than most of the boys on her team and way better than the two girls that were on the other team. She had two solid hits and only struck out once, but that was really because her coach was throwing horrible pitches. She scored one run, got one of the opposing players out at second and even slid into second once avoiding being tagged out. None of the boys even dared slide! Needless to say Josh and I were elated at how well she did and that she had so much fun!

Of course my camera battery was dead when I took it out to take pictures, but I did bring my video camera and got a quick shot of all the kids for their first at bat.

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved going to my kids baseball games. I loved watching your videos! Keep us updated.

Seth and Julie said...

I wanted to be a baseball mom, mostly because it is only a seasonal sport and takes place on summer nights which I love! But of course, that is not the way my kids went and I also find myself loving the paths they found for themselves. I like how Josh is coaching James at first base. Super cute!

Jenn said...

I was actually able to watch all three of these videos! Probably because they were short...but still. That was fun to see. They all did awesome for the first time ever!