Sunday, June 13, 2010

House adventure aka nightmare

So, did I ever mention that we sold our house? I didn't think so. Well, we did. And then we didn't.

It happened really fast. This girl showed up the last possible day for first time home buyers credit and loved our house. She was cute and clean and absolutely perfect to take over all of our hard work.

Everything went really smoothly. We did have a list of things that needed to be in better working order, but even that wasn't hard to take care of.

The day of closing was set for the day after we got back from our cruise, so we opted to pre sign before we left just in case something happened and we didn't get back in time.

Closing day came and went and we talked briefly about how our house was really no longer ours and we celebrated by going to a movie.

The next morning I got a horrible phone call. The closing never happened! I felt like I was going to throw up. Long story short. The lender approved her for a loan that she was never even close to qualifying for. The bank caught wind of what he was doing and fired him, and then called her that morning to tell her she was no longer approved. I feel almost as bad for her as I do for us.

Anyway, we weren't really sure what to do, but the broker said that she still really wanted the house and asked if we would be willing to do a lease to buy type thing. It's not really what we were hoping for, but at least it's something so we said yes.

Then, Thursday at 4:00am Josh and I hopped into the car to drive 15 hours up to Michigan to find a house for us to lease. We've never rented anything other than an apartment before but we didn't think it would be that difficult to find something. We were stupid.

A nice nurse at the hospital felt sorry for us and hooked us up with her friend who is a realtor. She felt sorry for us too, and dropped her entire day to help us. Unfortunately there was not a lot to look at. Everything was either about as big as a box, in a bad part of town (sometimes both) or way out of our price range.

Then finally, the last house we went to was in a great neighborhood, big enough for a family, and only slightly out of our price range. So, we made them an offer and prayed prayed prayed that they would accept it. And we waited. And then we came back home because we still hadn't heard back from them.

Sometimes faith is a very hard thing.

At 9:00 tonight we finally got the word that they accepted the terms of our lease and signed the papers!

Unfortunately even with the reduced rent, it's still more than we can afford so we are working on ways to cut back. Things like scratchy toilet paper and dates to the park have been discussed. One of the big things we will have to do without though is the Internet, and it makes me very sad. And scared kind of. What did we do before the Internet?

I don't know if I will have any time for blogging in the next couple of days, so I guess I will say goodbye right now. I'm sure that I will go through withdrawals for the first couple of weeks. I will miss my morning blog reading. I'm hoping that I can make a weekly trip to the library to use the Internet there just to feel like I'm staying somewhat connected.

Anyway, it's the start of new adventure for us.

6 comments:

Seth and Julie said...

So sorry to hear about the house woes. I am glad you found a place, and sad that you are retiring the blog. I have loved keeping in touch and seeing pictures of your family. I will miss you. Is that weird since I never even see you? But I understand that it is most important that you have a place where your family will feel safe. Good luck on this new adventure.

modern myrtle home said...

You are breaking my heart, but think about all the free time you'll have! I was so looking forward to keeping up with you, though. I'll have to email you and keep in touch with you that way.

You're doing the right things, so there's blessings waiting for you. There was one particular house we lived in several years ago that wasn't that nice, and in a less than great neighborhood (putting it mildly). I don't think we've ever been so happy. We met people there that changed our lives. We still talk about how much we miss it there. Things happen for a reason. It sounds like you've found a great place that will be worth the stretched budget. Maybe another place will come up when this lease ends that gives you some budget wiggle room.

I'm so excited for you!! :)

Kory Jane said...

I am going to cry....I will miss your cute little posts. I love reading them. But I am also so glad that you have found something. I am sorry that things have been rough. But think of all the adventures you will have there. Then you can pass your money saving wisdom down to me because we all can use a little extra money. We really love and miss you guys.

Quin's momma said...

I don't know what I will do without watching for your new blog posts, Sally. I agree- no internet is scary at times! lol But ya know, you never can tell what Heavenly Father can make happen to allow us the few extra niceites (did I spell that right?) our hearts desire. I've seen it happen! At least you know you'll have someplace to put your family in this new adventure!

The Thompson Family said...

Everything will turn out for the best. I am glad you found a place. We will pray that your house sells soon. Good luck with the move. Changes are always fun and exciting. Love you guys!

Real Life Roberts said...

Oh Sally girl! I feel for you...

I'm sorry about the whole internet cut back! Like Joni said, how awesome you will have so much extra time... I think we are in denial b/c we don't know exactly how everything will work with our budget until we get the 1st check in the mail. frustrating.

So we can still text right? I will email you often so when that day comes when you go to the library...you will get mail!

Loves! And I know this is cheezy but when I think of our next 5 years in residency, I think of the song, "Lean on me, when your not strong, and I'll be your friend, I'll help you carry on..." I'm here girl...and you better be too.