So, Josh got me a guitar for my birthday this year which I am really excited about. So excited in fact that I went straight down to the music store to get a book about basic chords and then I went home and snapped one of the strings while I was trying to tune it.
In my defense, Josh didn't tell me that he had tightened all the strings because he thought they were too loose. I was way too embarrassed to go back the next day and ask the same girl for new strings though, so I sat in the car like a little kid while Josh went in for me....so very noble of him.
The first couple of days I was OK with memorizing chords and icing my very sore fingers, but then I got impatient as I always do and went digging through my music to find some actual songs. I want to play and sing.
As a side note, here is a little known fact about me. I Love to sing and seriously wish that I could be Taylor Swift, minus the being a teenager part because who wants to do that again!? Unfortunately not only do I not sing nearly well enough to make a profession out of it, but I'm also a little bit shy when it comes to singing in front of people. I guess I just have to stick to daydreaming in my living room.
Back to the whole point of this ramble... I ended up finding two songs that only have a few simple chords repeated over and over. Concrete Angle by Martina McBride, and Breathe by Faith Hill. I love both of those songs and although Josh has assured me that he isn't sick of hearing them I would like to add a few more to my repertoire.
So, I'm wondering if any of you that play could give me a few suggestions on good beginner songs. My fingers are finally starting to get calloused so now I can practice for more than an hour every other night.
Thursday, August 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
Good job Sally! I always said I wanted to learn to play the guitar or the piano, but I never did!
That is awesome. Too bad I don't live closer and we could play together. I don't play much anymore (not that I am that good anyways). What I can tell you is to practice and learn as many chords as you can practicing the over and over. I know it is boring but that is the only way to become faster. It is also good to strum with a rythm depending on your time signature. It will make the song sound smoother. Maybe I will scan you some sheet music sometime. I don't know much but I hope this helps. Good luck, and eventually your fingers will calus up. Also it helps to have short nails.
um, excuse me Mrs. instrument inclined. So harp and piano just aren't enough huh? Well I will make sure and mention this in church so we can get you to play there. Maybe you could video playing and singing and post it? I would love to hear and see.
You play the harp too? jeez! I agree with Kory, we need to see a video of your musical talents!
WOW! I got caught up with you...curtains, garden, guitar, kids in school! Are we really friends sicne I have no idea what you have been doing until I get on your blog! YUCK! Don't get me wrong I love blogging but we live 10 mintues from each other...I'll be better! Bytheway, you'll probably turn out to be the next Colby and post a guitar/singing YOUTUBE video and become famous soon! Let me know before hand...heehee
You go girl. I'll bring my JG song book over! I know you'll be thrilled!
Sally - I have heard you sing and you have a very good voice. I also vote for a video!!!
Post a Comment