Sunday, April 27, 2014

Cats out of the bag

I mentioned on Instagram recently that I was really nervous because I had been asked to accompany two sisters while they sang in church on Easter. Well, I appreciate anyone who said a little prayer in my behalf, because it went really well. Unfortunately for me, that little performance gave away my secret of piano playing and suddenly I'm the primary pianist and a substitute Sacrament meeting pianist. I don't mind at all helping out in the primary, in fact I would have volunteered to help out much sooner if I had known that the primary president was also the pianist, but Sacrament meeting is a whole other ball game. I was very tempted to say no when the lady who plays the organ texted me this week to ask if I would play, and even more tempted to say yes when the one other lady in the ward who plays the piano (primary president) offered to play for me if I really didn't want to, but I decided that it was something I really needed to do. I was completely nervous the whole time, and have no desire to do it again anytime soon, but I'm actually quite proud of myself. The kids were excited to see me up there today too, which is one of the main reasons I said yes. I don't want them to ever be afraid to share their talents, and I can't think of a better way to teach that than by example.

  The rest of the week has been fairly quiet thankfully. Most of the time when we go to the beach during the week it is just at the bay here by our house which is nice but not quite the same as being out by the ocean, so on Tuesday I made the kids do two days worth of school work so we could take Wednesday off and go to the "big beach." I was met with quite a bit of resistance from one dramatic tween, but the next day she couldn't say enough about what a great idea it was! Life would be so much easier if she would just believe me when I say it will all work out and be worth it! Josh was bummed that he missed the beach on Wednesday so we made sure to go again on Saturday and got to meet up with Melissa and the kids for her birthday. (Beau was in Japan). I love that we are getting so much cousin time, but really the more the kids get to know each other, the harder it is going to be to say goodbye.

I know both of these pictures were already posted to Facebook, but I just love them, so I'm posting them again.


This girl has suddenly become very brave in the water and it makes me incredibly nervous!

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Glad your piano playing went well. I know whenever we get a new person who plays, they get pounced on pretty quick! We will be so sad when you have to leave, but glad we have had some time together! And I bet you guys will miss the beach!

Seth and Julie said...

I have always wished I could play the piano and figured it would keep me safely behind the piano and out of lots of other callings but I guess I never thought of how unnerving it might be to play for a crowd. I don't know how you are ever going to force yourselves back to MI after all of this time on the beach. No wonder all those darn warm coastal states are so overpopulated.

Thompsonfamily1 said...

Way to go Sally. Laila looks so cute. She is getting so big.

Dee dee said...

What people don't know is that Sally taught herself how to play the piano.

Dee dee said...

What people don't know is that Sally taught herself how to play the piano.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your mom posted that twice. I didn't believe it the first time I read it. Just Kidding - I know that you reek with talent of all kinds.