Thursday, July 15, 2010

For all the corn bread haters

Ok, here's the bummer about using the library for your Internet needs. You can't do pictures. I know, what's the point of blogging if your can't show pictures, right? Well, I'm working on it. Not sure yet how I'm going to fix that little dilemma, but I know there has to be a way. The only reason I was able to put fourth of July pictures up was because Josh had to use the Internet for something important so we went to McDonald's to use their free wi fi. So, I'm thinking hard. In the meantime...

I used to HATE cornbread. I mean REALLY hate it. Then a couple years ago I read somewhere that you can add some instant vanilla pudding to the mix to make it a little sweeter and now I make it all the time. The kids love it! And since I have nothing better to blog about, here is my recipe for cornbread muffins. I must warn you though, that these are more like corn cupcakes, which is probably why I like them.

1 1/4 C flour
3/4 C sugar
3/4 C cornmeal
1 small package vanilla instant pudding mix
1 TBS baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1/2 C shortening
1 C mild, divided

Mix dry ingredients together, Add eggs, shortening and 1/2 C of milk. Beat for 1 minute. Add remaining milk and mix just until blended. Pour into muffin tin and bake at 350 degrees for about 25 min.

Enjoy!

7 comments:

Amy said...

Sounds delicious. I'm making BBQ chicken and sweet potato fries this week. I'm thinking this corn bread will go nicely with the meal. I recently got a really good recipe from my mom - the flavor was awesome but they crumbled into a million pieces before you can take a bite. BIG MESS. So I've been looking for a new recipe.

Anonymous said...

I am a first hand witness of Sally's cornbread and it is great. I always add the pudding now. Now I am always asking, "You want your cornbread?" (with a southern accent). In case you didn't know, that came from an Eddie Murphy movie.

Natalie said...

I love cornbread, so I can't wait to try out this new recipe! So glad you're still blogging. I think you're more consistent than I am at posting. Thanks for the new recipe!

Ria said...

Aunt Kare's recipe is like eating cake. I don't know how Amy's could have crumbled unless it was a different recipe than I have. (give it another try Amy) Uncle John eats it plain. says it is sweet and moist enough without butter or honey etc... I love it. My excuse for cake for dinner :)

Lisa said...

I am definately trying this. Never got to try this when you were an Okie!

Natalie said...

p.s. when I went back to write down your recipe I wasn't sure what "mild" was... Luckily it says "milk" in the instructions. Trying it out tonight, here goes nothing!

Jenn said...

Thanks for the recipe. I don't hate cornbread but I've never loved it. I'm excited to give it a try. It will have to wait until fall though as I don't turn on my oven in the summer (no A.C. in the house).

Oh, and the 4th of July and lake pictures were so cute. I can't believe how long Macy's hair is getting and how grown up she looks. Your kids are growing up way too fast!

OH!! And who is the missionary that you used to babysit? I'm dying to know!